Tightening locknuts on Deore DX pedals - drat and nuts?!

I'm all set to get the pedals back from the LBS this week if I can get away from work early. I'll then measure the nuts and get back down the hardware emporium to see what they've got. Have angle grinder, sure can I get something to work somehow!
Was thinking/ hoping one of those screwdriver-handled sockets will pass down the middle of the larger tool. I think a box spanner thinned-down will sneak inside the pedal body. I had a 'try' of a box spanner in the emporium before handing over to the LBS - it nearly fit, so think it should work. I gave the pedals to the LBS as I had hoped they had the proper tool or knack - they had neither in the end.
I'll post pics on here if I can get some success. Then I'll make loads of tools and put them on ebay and become a miwionnaire! :)

The Shimano Tool TL-PD63 is designed to adjust two different pedal sizes

The tubular sockets measure outer 11mm / inner 8mm or outer 10mm / inner 7mm

All sizes nominal and measured A/F ( across flats )

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that TL-PD63 is a double ended Shimano tool.

And unfortunately I don't think the box wrench idea will work. I remembered that I had bought a set of box wrenches years ago. They are all double ended, and I had previously cut the 20mm - 22mm wrench in half for a front suspension strut job on my car.

This is the set I have:

The box wrenches are forged in such a way that the socket area is significantly wider than the main body of the wrench. This means that a 6mm - 7mm box wrench will not fit inside a 10mm - 11mm box wrench.

My original idea of using thread lock might work if a socket or box wrench can be modified to fit the cone nut.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Progress time. 11mm box spanner (well, a 10 and 11mm box spanner, chopped in half) obtained and thinned in the walls so that it fits inside the end of the pedal body. Piece of pi$$ with an angle grinder. Same done to an 8mm socket - now passes down within/ inside the box spanner. Socket extension bar bought so that I can operate the 8mm socket with a torque wrench (a nice low Nm-rated one for light duty).

Question is what torque to tighten the outer locknut? There's probably a standard for the thread of the pedal spindle but this update is as much as anything an update to say that it was pretty easy to knock-up a tool to do the same job as the £60 Shimano jobbie! It probably cost £6.

Progress time. 11mm box spanner (well, a 10 and 11mm box spanner, chopped in half) obtained and thinned in the walls so that it fits inside the end of the pedal body. Piece of pi$$ with an angle grinder. Same done to an 8mm socket - now passes down within/ inside the box spanner. Socket extension bar bought so that I can operate the 8mm socket with a torque wrench (a nice low Nm-rated one for light duty).

Question is what torque to tighten the outer locknut? There's probably a standard for the thread of the pedal spindle but this update is as much as anything an update to say that it was pretty easy to knock-up a tool to do the same job as the £60 Shimano jobbie! It probably cost £6.
Torque setting demonstrated below

Well done on making your diy 'Shimano' tool !
There is not a great deal of load on the m5 locknut as it merely serves to stop the outer cone
from rotating out of adjustment . Its all made from high tensile steel and a torque of
about 7nM should be more than adequate , though I prefer to rely on 'feel' for that type of thing

Cheers! Agree, a little research suggests 5-7nM. The problem I encountered y'day when trying to use it is that the bar that passes through the 2 holes in the box spanner obvs doesn't pass through now due to there being a socket and extension inside. I had hoped just using one hole in the box spanner would give enough purchase but alas no. A trip to my brother's is needed to weld the bar onto the box spanner to make a wee little handle. Then I'm all set!

The Shimano Tool TL-PD63 is designed to adjust two different pedal sizes

The tubular sockets measure outer 11mm / inner 8mm or outer 10mm / inner 7mm

All sizes nominal and measured A/F ( across flats )
I’ve got this tool. Doesn’t fit inside dx pedals :)

Ha! Not a chance in hell I would have spent £60 on the tool anyway - for me to have then been disappointed! Great info though!

Back