The Unofficial Official Photography Thread...

Like most here I imagine, I grew up with film camera's, without the luxury of taking loads of shots of the same thing hoping one may be ok and binning the rest. Also without the image viewer on the back of the camera or on screen. You had to wait until they were developed to see what they had come out like. With that I learnt to frame shots and hopefully get the shot I wanted first time.

I was also lucky in that I spent many years living and climbing in the mountains, a professional landscape photographer said to me once, if you are somewhere nice and take a picture, the picture will be nice, the mountains are a nice place so most of the work is taken care of. I have a lot of film and digital images, I will dig out a hard drive and try to sort some out. He also taught me the effort required to capture the best mountain images, often sitting/camping for days in one spot to capture the scene in perfect light, something I never had the motivation to do. My images are purely for myself, my memory is very bad, always has been, so I take lots of photos of walks and climbs as a record, something to look back on now I am less active.

Because of the above reasons, I have never cropped or edited any of my shots. The years spent with a film camera taught me to compose a shot to a good enough standard for myself, and the fact it is to record my memories I like to leave the pictures as they were. So some may appear bland, and no doubt with photoshop or some other editing I could get them looking a lot nicer, its never really improved the image for what I want it for, if that makes sense. The image below is an example, some may spot Ami sneaking in on the shot, some may choose to photoshop her out, for me it was just part of the day, and in years time I will be more happy to see her than some trees, though the whole image will remind me of the day itself.

20221226_151335.jpg

Like most here I imagine, I grew up with film camera's, without the luxury of taking loads of shots of the same thing hoping one may be ok and binning the rest. Also without the image viewer on the back of the camera or on screen. You had to wait until they were developed to see what they had come out like. With that I learnt to frame shots and hopefully get the shot I wanted first time.

I was also lucky in that I spent many years living and climbing in the mountains, a professional landscape photographer said to me once, if you are somewhere nice and take a picture, the picture will be nice, the mountains are a nice place so most of the work is taken care of. I have a lot of film and digital images, I will dig out a hard drive and try to sort some out. He also taught me the effort required to capture the best mountain images, often sitting/camping for days in one spot to capture the scene in perfect light, something I never had the motivation to do. My images are purely for myself, my memory is very bad, always has been, so I take lots of photos of walks and climbs as a record, something to look back on now I am less active.

Because of the above reasons, I have never cropped or edited any of my shots. The years spent with a film camera taught me to compose a shot to a good enough standard for myself, and the fact it is to record my memories I like to leave the pictures as they were. So some may appear bland, and no doubt with photoshop or some other editing I could get them looking a lot nicer, its never really improved the image for what I want it for, if that makes sense. The image below is an example, some may spot Ami sneaking in on the shot, some may choose to photoshop her out, for me it was just part of the day, and in years time I will be more happy to see her than some trees, though the whole image will remind me of the day itself.

View attachment 706858
It is a very strange, and somehow can be considered as "not normal" especially these days, but many many times i did not bring a camera to mountains and travels.
My opinion is that the most amazing things only reveal themselves when you have no camera with you. I can't or don't want to explain it, and of course i have no proof, but this is my experience.
Maybe this is not the right thing for a photography thread🤣

View attachment 706858
Thanks!
I too have used mainly film and still my main cameras are 35mm
I do crop though only IF I have an unwanted thing in the photo and it’s worth cropping.
I dabble in digital - often changing cameras - my only digital is a 6MP 2004 Konica Minolta DSLR which I took to the mountains with me this November
You’re blessed to be living near such lovely country.

How do you scan your film shots ? And what’s your favourite film ?

Back