The u s of a

Muddy Funster

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anyone got experience of getting stuff shipped over from the states? What is the going rate for getting a bike sent over- or indeed sending one over there?

If anyone has some words of wisdom then please shout..

US Postage

Hi mate
I have had a frame sent over and it was $70 US, about £35. I have looked at a couple and they all came in around this price.
I was recently quoted for a stumpy, pretty much complete minus the wheels for around $100 US.
Hope that helps, just remember the customs man waiting this end :cry:
Its hit and miss with customs, sometimes your lucky other times not. I have had many things sent across, frames included and have, touch wood only been stung for a small amount for a crankset, and most of the charge was a royal mail handling fee not customs.
Best of luck
Jamie

if its a whole bike then your get fully hammered with mr tax man but if it was without wheels then its classed as parts which they charge at 4%. price to post frame as mentioned $75 with usps if by ups then around $400 or more for a frameand wheels. best ring customs and check costs. good luck

Muddy Funster....i work at a shop in the states and shipping can vary wildly depending how the size of the box, weight and where it's going.

a friend recently shipped a bike to switzerland. $400.00 USD

luckily for you guys in europe...the us dollar is weak so you can get all sorts of deals on stuff.

we ship out whole road and mountain bikes through UPS and FEDEX and they are typically more than $100.

most of the time....the US postal service won't even take them due to the size of the box. the shipping guy is always asking if we can trim a box a few inches.....we tell him to do it himself.....as mechanics, we already have enough work do to without having to play cardboard craftsman and trim an inch or two out of a box.

when the postal serive has taken a biike in a box....the price was usually VERY high....or VERY low......it seems to depend on nothing to them. but it's a govt agency so i'm not surprised.

having seem many damaged from shipping.....the only advice i can off is...make sure that the bike that came in the box...was several sizes larger than the bike you're putting in the box.

most of the damage i see was cause someone tried to fit an 18" frame in a bike for an 18" bike. unless they are going to spend some time to make sure it's packed perfectly....it's likely it'll get damaged.

Back