The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
every now and then I contemplate selling my rockshox SIDney. It's a great fork, I just have a voice inside me that tells me a black fork or pace RC38 would look better.

Frankly, unless it's worth a lot, I wouldn't bother though, so any ideas?

Right, I've just whipped the seatpost out of my KHS to measure it up.

Looks as though it's 320mm long (from seat rails to end) and 26.5 diameter (I'm assuming sold as 26.6). Post is in great condition, a few shiny marks where it was clamped in, and the stickers are a little marked, but pretty good for a gen 1 I reckon.

I've left the flite transalp on it for the photo, it's pretty scuffed, so doubt it's worth a lot - and if it's not then I'll just hang on to it for sentiment.

Any ideas to value would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. John

Attachments

• IMG-20131130-00089.jpg
    IMG-20131130-00089.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 222
chickenskin":2kndecxy said:
Right, I've just whipped the seatpost out of my KHS to measure it up.

Looks as though it's 320mm long (from seat rails to end) and 26.5 diameter (I'm assuming sold as 26.6). Post is in great condition, a few shiny marks where it was clamped in, and the stickers are a little marked, but pretty good for a gen 1 I reckon.

I've left the flite transalp on it for the photo, it's pretty scuffed, so doubt it's worth a lot - and if it's not then I'll just hang on to it for sentiment.

Any ideas to value would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. John

The size should be stamped (or at least a digit) somewhere on the post. I think perhaps on the end of the cylindrical cross piece. I am not sure what bikes take 26.6 and size is a big factor in determining the value. If it is 26.4 I would say it is probably worth in the region of $100. 26.8, 27.0 and 27.2 are all desirable and I would say worth north of $50. 26.6 maybe be worth less, but again I don't know what MTB's take that size, it was a popular 1980s road bike size, a lot of Tange frames took that post size.

BTW, the saddle is on backwards. I'd be interested in the post when you make a decision on selling it. The flite too.

It's got a 6 stamped on it, so guess that is a 26.6 then. Shame it's not a popular size, I'd always wondered if it was more a road bike post.

Cheers.

chickenskin":32jt9zzq said:
It's got a 6 stamped on it, so guess that is a 26.6 then. Shame it's not a popular size, I'd always wondered if it was more a road bike post.

Cheers.

I am sure there are lots of MTBs out there that take that size. I have a Nishiki touring bike that that post would look great on. so let me know. It's just that the most valuable post are determined by the most valuable bikes...

26.4 --- fat chance whicked to name one
27.0 --- lots of rocky mountains
29.4 --- ibis, fat chance yo/team etc...

Those sizes are valuable as a result of the collectibility of these bikes and the desire for vintage posts for them (a part that gets damaged and broken). Somemight chime in and point out that there is some super collectible retro MTB that takes 26.6 and that this post size is super rare and valuable. Ultimately ebay will determine that. You can always advertise it high and ask for "or best offer".

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really a fan of selling things on ebay, but it sounds like it might be the best way to get a valuation. John

Got these lovely ONZA canti brakes in the Man Cave, Boxed up, never been fitted, dont think i will ever use them, and just wondered what they are worth?

Jussa :D

Attachments

• ONZA Brakes.jpeg
    ONZA Brakes.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 188
cyclotoine":2pgw7a1h said:
chickenskin":2pgw7a1h said:

Cheers.

I am sure there are lots of MTBs out there that take that size. I have a Nishiki touring bike that that post would look great on. so let me know. It's just that the most valuable post are determined by the most valuable bikes...

26.4 --- fat chance whicked to name one
27.0 --- lots of rocky mountains
29.4 --- ibis, fat chance yo/team etc...

Those sizes are valuable as a result of the collectibility of these bikes and the desire for vintage posts for them (a part that gets damaged and broken). Somemight chime in and point out that there is some super collectible retro MTB that takes 26.6 and that this post size is super rare and valuable. Ultimately ebay will determine that. You can always advertise it high and ask for "or best offer".

My Tange Prestige Concept 1993 GT Richter 8.0 is 26.6mm .... but I don't need another seat post for it.

Timely reminder for people to add details to the MTB frame database wiki:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/MTB_Frame_Database

Maybe add one a day for advent :D

Jussa":3ia266h1 said:
Got these lovely ONZA canti brakes in the Man Cave, Boxed up, never been fitted, dont think i will ever use them, and just wondered what they are worth?

Somebody has a set, minus the boxes, on eBay for £85, but they haven't sold. I would say it wasn't far off that, it just depends if somebody wants them bad enough...

Giom6":3nwpi8dt said:
Jussa":3nwpi8dt said:

Somebody has a set, minus the boxes, on eBay for £85, but they haven't sold. I would say it wasn't far off that, it just depends if somebody wants them bad enough...

Cool many thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back