The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

lol, no!!

have a cable coming to try the balanced digital.

you should see the guys electrical drawings... proper ocd stuff!

the player works well and I love the illuminated play/pause buttons... they're like scrabble letter squares!

the balanced digital thing....

XLR crept out of the studio environment because it was a great way to send ANALOGUE signals over long distances - phono is good for upto about 10 metres whereas XLR was good for 100m+

The HIFI illuminati seized on this and thought it'd be a great way to make more snakeoil for the hifi world

How the grundlefunk it ended up being used in the HIFI world for DIGITAL is beyond me but its another one of those studio things that creeps into the domestic hifi scene

The best way of sending digital information for domestic CD transports was with a separate timing signal, then it was all re-clocked at the DAC and super accurate but also expensive

and BNC!

There were two or 3 companies that did this - note the 'sync' connector and 'ti link'

1692216344775.png

1692216201152.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying a new CD player. Jay's Audio. But I don't recognise any of the sockets at the back?? none seem to be for my pre-amp? Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 8.57.08 am.png

Last edited:
Back