The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Yes.. but please excuse the MDF shelving held up with ..err.. MDF? *facepalm* of course i didn't do it! i'm a woodworker damit!

..i'm yet to decorate the living room.. and bathroom.. kitchen.. dining room.. pretty much the entire house 😁

Stereo 130 + CDT

View attachment 712506

Rosewood MK1 Kans
View attachment 712500

..a little Rel sub for the low ends
View attachment 712501

..and GS1000's for when everyone apart from me is in bed
View attachment 712502
Love Linn Kans. Had a pair of Mk 2 in black. If fact they are the only Linn products I have liked.

Kans were a sort of but not official copy of the LS/35a but without the hype or price tag - and considered better by some too

They are indeed very good.. it took me years to find a mint pair in rosewood.. i'm alwasy surprised how battered some folks speakers are..

obvs if it's dj equipment and such you've got to expect the odd knock and bang but when it's relatively high end speakers which remain static in your home.. how the flip are foks getting the corners chipped off.. just repeatedly knocking them over with the vacuum cleaner? you see binding posts partially or entirely missing, water rings on the top where someone has had a pot plant, coffee rings.. the grills forced off and stuck back for no apparent reason.. numerous spike holes underneath.. what the heck people! just put them on a shelf and leave them alone for goodness sake!

I need to space mine out somewhat.. we've got a typical Victorian terrace house, large bay window, chimney breast with a wood burner but i've currently got both speakers in the left alcove.. when i rip out the god awful fireplace a'll route/hide some speaker cable and put one on either side of the woodburner.. they don't really need space behind them, i think they were designed as bookshelf speakers and as such actually sound better 4" or so away fram a wall.

I'm selling my Grado GS1000 statement series headphones.. they're made in Brooklyn from locally grown trees (mahogany in this case)

They're in perfect working order and in superb condition.. they retailed for £1000+

fullsizeoutput_382d.jpeg

Right ear
fullsizeoutput_3a8b.jpeg

Left ear
fullsizeoutput_3a8c.jpeg

The cables always twist on Grado's.. especially if you keep them boxed, i don't therefore there is very little cable twist.. if any at all.
IMG_5183.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3a8d.jpeg

I have a Grado hardcase which i've never used +adapter
fullsizeoutput_3a8e.jpeg

Grado softcase
fullsizeoutput_3a90.jpeg

I recently replaced the g-cushions which cost a ridiculous £70 from Grado
fullsizeoutput_3a92.jpeg

You can buy cheap copies on ebay for £15 which are almost as good

I'm looking for £350 shipped or it would have to be £400 if you want the new cushions.

I appreciate most people don't want to pay £70 or even £50 for a bit of foam but i do have an older set of g-cushions (see above) so they will be shipped with a perfectly good, useable albeit older set of cushions.

I ummed and arred between GS and the vintage RS1's for a while.. i think the RS are meant to sound warmer but the GS, due to their larger pads have a wider soundstage with more bass.. i'm more than happy with the GS and i got them for a very good price.. the seperation is like running a £1000 DAC but if a pair of RS come up at the right price.. i still might buy them, Pepsi challenge them both with the type of music i listen to, choose one and sell the other... the open back means everyone in the room can hear what you're listening to.. if my missus was reading a book in the same room, i'm sure it would be irritating but i only use them because i like to bang music out which can be a bit anti-social if it's late.

I'm happy to keep the new cushions and use them in conjunction with the RS1s i've just bought^

They will be shipped next day, Special-D in the UK

I will ship worldwide, at your cost, fully insured using your preferred shipping method, providing all the relevant tracking numbers ect.. i'll keep you informed every step of the way but i insist this is done at your own risk.. ie- payment made via PP F&F.

Any Q's don't hesitate.. You will find a lot of folks waxing lyrical about the GS1000 around the hi-fi forums (Head-Fi and such) most of them know much more than I do..

Last edited:
Price drop on the Grado's to £330 with the old pads or £380 with the new pads

If there are no takers.. i'll list them on ebay, This pair closed yesterday for £362 +postage, no case, no adapter, twisted cable and such..

Collection in Sheffield S11 behind Endcliffe park also welcome

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well it appears a previous owner has done some work on this….

The XLR digital out is not standard and there are other mods….

Have taken some pics, can you shed any light as to what they are @legrandefromage?

Optical out works, all functions operate as they should but no output from coaxial digital out, wondered if it’s been bypassed to allow function of the XLR? 🤔 🤷‍♂️

IMG_1618.jpeg IMG_1619.jpeg IMG_1620.jpeg IMG_1621.jpeg IMG_1623.jpeg IMG_1624.jpeg IMG_1625.jpeg IMG_1627.jpeg IMG_1629.jpeg

well, thats some weird shit going on in there

One looks like the XLR driver

another looks like a power supply for a breadboarded headphone amplifier circuit

it doesn't have a headphone out.... :confused:

is it likely that the coax out has been disabled to power AES/EBU?

Back