The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: Integrated amp wanted

legrandefromage":2o3ksfpl said:
I will have a looksee tonight. It wont be expensive

Cheers, many thanks!
I should have mentioned that full working order would be nice, too!

any thoughts on sticking a one or two audiolab 8000Ps through some linn kabers?

I have Index 2's at the moment and I like the linn sound but fancy an upgrade so keilidhs/kabers/ninkas are on my horizon

At 4 Ohms thats a difficult load and a pretty poor 87db efficiency, the amps will have to work hard if you like moderate volumes.

Depends on music tastes too

I'd go for monoblocs on each speaker, bi or tri-wiring would change the load on the amp. Good old fashioned one amp per speaker, short speaker cable, long interconnects (max 10m) and ignore the 1990's guff of bi/tri sexual wiring and so on. Long interconnects shouldnt add any RF until beyond 10m. bi-amping adds about 10db and gives btter stereo imaging as the stereo channel bleeding is in the pre (if any).

Phew! Its a while since I've had to actually think about stuff like that. And no Google was harmed in the making of that except for this

ftp://ftp.linn.co.uk/Manual/KABER_(E).pdf

I don't really want to make too many changes at the mo so i'll stick to keilidhs or ninkas for now

thanks!

Re:

I have used 8000A and 8000P biamped with Keilidhs and with Mission 753s.

Verdict?

acoustic/vocal stuff = Keilidhs

loud rock = 753s

I still have both :xmas-cool:

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2qdra84j said:
I have used 8000A and 8000P biamped with Keilidhs and with Mission 753s.

Verdict?

acoustic/vocal stuff = Keilidhs

loud rock = 753s

I still have both :xmas-cool:

I had a set of 753s on the 8000P for a while and I really didn't like them. Got more than I paid for them though. Preferred my Index 2's for listening, though I reckon the 753's would work for parties

Re:

Indeed - it all depends on so many things. I got a pair of Musical Fidelity standmounts a few months back for buttons and TBH they are fekkin good (bass wise) at low volumes in my current sitting room, no decent mid range though, for that the Linns win.

753s have to be used hard n loud IMHO to get the best outta them :xmas-big-grin:

753 need big current amplification. They were never recommended to go with Audiolab back in the dim and distant, even with 8000M.

I run mine with a large efficient Japanese amplifier and they work much better. Even a Quad 606 didnt do so well. And steer clear of the freedom versions.

They were a very good speaker for the money, folded one piece box, multi lightweight drivers giving the equivalent of a large surface area and a pretty high efficiency of 89 to 90db and a reasonable 6 ohm load.

There was little to touch them at that price bracket. I had access to a hell of a lot of speakers from all corners and to do better I needed to look at PMC or some others (I forget their names now). Contemporary B&W, Kef, Tannoy werent cutting it at the time unless you went for higher models.

Unfortunately Mission are no more and its just a brand name churned out in China under the IAG group along with Wharfedale, Quad and Audiolab.

adlyhobart":1stvnfs8 said:
thanks for obliging frog! cant beat a good drool over innards. bat gear is fab and no doubt you will have good sounds with your set up! so what power amp is it with balanced inputs? what speakers?

no problem, i replaced all the blue LEDs as three were blown, so was easy to oblige! ;-)
speakers are Martin Logan Aerius i electrostatics, and power amp is a pair of Denon POA6600 monoblocks

Attachments

• thesetup.jpg
    thesetup.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4,546
  • poafront.jpg
    poafront.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 4,546
  • poa6600.jpg
    poa6600.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 4,546
  • mla.jpg
    mla.jpg