The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

The combination of amps was a fortuitous accident: I was sharing a house with an old university friend and at the time we could'nt afford a system so we shared one! I bought the speakers, he bought a pair of the amps and a matching pre. As we started to think about going our seperate ways, I bought the second pair of amps. He bought a pair of Castle Harlechs!

Re:

Always amuses me how much LUCK is required with hifi seperates. I've never worked in the industry nor am i into electronics as such, therefore all my attempts at getting a decent sounding system have been a mix of press reviews, adverts, shop demos and listening to friends systems and LUCK - none of which have proved anything really. All seemingly varying in performance depending on music genre being played, room style and soft furnishings.

I was LUCKY in living near a decent s/h hifi shop in SE London for a while and the guy was happy for folk to go in and listen to whatever setups they wanted. I never spent that much money there, but did hear a lot and got some good deals. I''ve also been LUCKY in scoring some nice stuff (but nowhere near LGF LUCKINESS) from local recycling centre for next to nothing.

Main system remains Audiolab 8000 / Mission753 / Micromega Stage 3 CD and that's how its been for 15 years or so now despite dabbling with Linn, Musical Fidelity, Mordaunt Short and others - not mighty High End but does the job nicely thank you very much.

What's amusing me at the moment is a set of Musical Fidelity speakers which, at lowish volumes, sound *BORING* with the Audiolab but *EXCELLENT, SUPERB IN FACT* with the A&R A60 I got from the tip for £3 (ok so I had to wire a new mains lead on) Tis jolly good.

I did once, almost two decades ago, spend £100 on speaker cable which is apparently no more than copper wire coated with plastic. Never again. :D

***EDIT - nothing belts out rock better than the 753s though, nothing affordable anyway :cool:

Anyone looking for a NAD 5120 with a new AT95 and a recent belt change? Manchester based, looking for around 50 for it ( unless I am way off )

Re: Mission 753

Just noticed the month-old chat about Mission 753s and amps....

Running mine through a pair of UK-made Audiolab 8000P, with an 8000S as pre-amp (sounds better than the 8000c) these days and loving them to bits. Problem is that when your amps and speakers sound so good - then your vinyl suddenly becomes more revealing of its challenges so now probably need a better phono stage and cartridge to compensate on my Dual 1219. The one in the 8000C keeps the high frequencies (high hats etc) too far back and the one I'm testing right now brings it slightly too far forward leaving it sounding a bit harsh. Any recommendations?

Got a couple of DACs I'm considering parting with in the near future

any thoughts on values would be appreciated

They're a meridian 263 and an Audio Alchemy DDE V1.1

cce":ddqs48md said:

Sling 'em on ebay - thats where all the DAC fanboys hang out these days. Should do well

Re: Mission 753

dbmtb":fohtxge5 said:
Just noticed the month-old chat about Mission 753s and amps....

Running mine through a pair of UK-made Audiolab 8000P, with an 8000S as pre-amp (sounds better than the 8000c) these days and loving them to bits. Problem is that when your amps and speakers sound so good - then your vinyl suddenly becomes more revealing of its challenges so now probably need a better phono stage and cartridge to compensate on my Dual 1219. The one in the 8000C keeps the high frequencies (high hats etc) too far back and the one I'm testing right now brings it slightly too far forward leaving it sounding a bit harsh. Any recommendations?

From memory the 8000C has a better phono stage over the 8000S so just have all three stacked up....

Also from those days, the 8000P was never a good partner with the 753 as the amp tended to go futt. Bi-amping with the 8000S wouldnt do much to change that either.

legrandefromage":2h8p3upk said:
cce":2h8p3upk said:

Sling 'em on ebay - thats where all the DAC fanboys hang out these days. Should do well

Had a quick look, happy with what I reckon i'll get

the 263 is a lovely sounding thing but I want something a bit more flexible with multiple inputs etc so it may have to go.

Re:

8000S has no phono stage but sounds better with CDs than the 8000C.

For an integrated phono-stage, the one in the 8000C was pretty good - but just not got the "wow" factor at the higher frequencies. The one I'm using at the moment (a modern discount Dynavox thingy with valves) has the wow factor at the top end but sacrifices the bass....

Currently have 2 8000Ps running bi-amped on top of each other with the 8000S as pre-amp. I'm not playing my music all that loud as the wife is home most of the time I'm home - so don't really expect anything to blow out due to being overloaded.

Also just acquired an 8000PX as a swap so am well-stocked up.

Latest posts

Back