The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales: Amps amps amps!!!

Hi y'all

I've got a pair of Rotel RB970 BX power amplifiers up for sale. They are rated at 60W but deliver up to 180W in bridged mono (and look super awesome running as a pair on your rack. They're both in very good condition.

Any interest? - I'm looking for £100 each.

good price. i had a pair of 960`s running bi wired and bi amped and loved them.

Yes - I run relatively up-to-date kit in my main rig, but I'm addicted to how affordable hi-fi is from when I couldn't afford it back in the '90s. My bedroom set-up has a NAD C270 power amplifier (brilliant bit of kit ... I've got a C275BEE for my living room) feeding a pair of Mission 752 Freedoms. Stuff I didn't think I'd ever be able to own at the time, now it can be picked up for buttons.

I'm just waiting for a pair of decent 753 Freedoms to turn up now ...

The Freedoms are not as good as the original 753 and not as expensive second hand. But the down side of the original 753 is that there are no new tweeters left. I'm on my second set after one too many parties...

And, the 753 work better with BIG AMPLIFICATION .ION .ION .ION (echo!). They work better with power amplifiers of around a minimum 150w per channel 8 Ohms plus, despite having 25-150 written on the back.

The 752 seem to be being snapped up by the valve brigade.

Oddly enough, I used to have a pair of 753's running with 4 bridged 970's.

This was in a terraced house so my neighbours weren't very happy!

Bullpup":1q94lx4d said:
Oddly enough, I used to have a pair of 753's running with 4 bridged 970's.

This was in a terraced house so my neighbours weren't very happy!

Please tell me how good it was!

With a marantz cd10 on the front it was very good. the problem was that the combination always sounded a tad over bright which with the benefit of hindsight was a function of a very long narrow room with minimum soft furnishings and a polished wood floor. Exascerbated by a bay window at one end and another full window at the other - 2 rooms knocked into one.v Certainly wasn't dull or boring though.

Unless you have active crossovers, there's no point in bi wiring, all that does is change the load on the amplifier.

Bi amping is best done in a dual mono configuration. 1 amp per speaker, this can add up to 10db extra to the overall sound.

The 753 was a very forward speaker. A lot of information was sent through those tweeters. Great for electronic music/ dance etc. Just one of those Rotels bridged per speaker would have done the job.

But four looks great in the rack!

I have run my battered old 753 with allsorts.

For a long time it was a tma 5x100r. Then bits this and that with a bonkers kenwood km series power amp. 160x2!

Just recently it was a quad 606 but it wasn't exactly earth shattering and as it was worth a few quid, it was sold.

Now it's a dual mono late 1980's technics se-m100. It is a power amp with a built in digital pre amp/ dac. An old yamaha mcx music server goes straight in. Plus an old broadcast sony dat.

Googly image of my current power amp

341742-rare_technics_sem100_power_amp__sua40_preamp.jpg

Latest posts

Back