the New Buzzword is 13spd cassettes, oh i can't wait for 14 spd cassettes. 8spd cassettes were cool, 9spd not so much ad infinitum.........

I’ve also had no issues with 1x systems. Apart from now hating front chainrings and the associated shifting. This was the true upgrade! I manage with 10 speeds which seems plenty.

My objection to 1x is that the range is never good enough and above all it runs horrible chain lines and accelerates wear.
A 7-speed double will do the job far better than 1x11 and last longer. It's also less finicky about things like hanger alignment. A 7-speed triple has a WAY larger range without silly extreme 50T or 10T sprockets - 10T being especially daft as they wear horribly fast.
When you say more range?

My Marin 3x7 (11-28t and 24,34,42) results in 0.86 and 3.82 extremes.
My 1x with 11-42t cassette and 42t chainring results in 1 and 3.82 top.
I could have also purchased an 11-46 had I wanted to match the granny gear (0.91)

Yep, you just about got there - although even that extreme 11-46 still is a couple of gears short of the bottom of a 3x7...which also has far smaller steps between gears.

If you like it, fine. Not for me.

Anyone who has been cycling for a long time can totally get the 1 more sprocket on the rear isn't needed argument. I remember getting a 9 speed cassette on a winter bike and feeling it was an extravagant luxury! However, I move with the times and have no regrets riding 12 speed Ultegra Di2 on my summer bike. The 11-30 cassette has smaller gears than I really need for normal riding but it means I can take the bike anywhere and not need to change anything (just back from a trip to Italy and 36x30 was definitely needed up Blockhaus). The front mech changing is so incredibly good there is no need to go to 1x and have huge jumps between the gears. Everything works perfectly and is a joy to ride so why complain about it?

Anyone who has been cycling for a long time can totally get the 1 more sprocket on the rear isn't needed argument. I remember getting a 9 speed cassette on a winter bike and feeling it was an extravagant luxury! However, I move with the times and have no regrets riding 12 speed Ultegra Di2 on my summer bike. The 11-30 cassette has smaller gears than I really need for normal riding but it means I can take the bike anywhere and not need to change anything (just back from a trip to Italy and 36x30 was definitely needed up Blockhaus). The front mech changing is so incredibly good there is no need to go to 1x and have huge jumps between the gears. Everything works perfectly and is a joy to ride so why complain about it?
Some people just have a phobia around a front mech.

I'd agree with all of that apart from the tubs. In cyclocross they are the go to for I would guess 85% + of bikes I see. I wish I had the nerve to use tubs on the road, but replacing one after a flat would be a proper ball ache. Shame as road tub wheels are so cheap!

Tubs aren't that bad. If they're well matured, they do toughen up nicely. I've went a year and about 9k miles on a rear tub with no punctures!

Back