the New Buzzword is 13spd cassettes, oh i can't wait for 14 spd cassettes. 8spd cassettes were cool, 9spd not so much ad infinitum.........

I've only used tubular for the last 3 years: Vittoria Rubino 28mm with Orange Seal.

Only 3 flats
1) Before I discovered sealant
2+3) You're supposed to top up sealant, but 1oz did last a year.

So basically no flats that weren't my fault, riding in London.

I've only used tubular for the last 3 years: Vittoria Rubino 28mm with Orange Seal.

Only 3 flats
1) Before I discovered sealant
2+3) You're supposed to top up sealant, but 1oz did last a year.

So basically no flats that weren't my fault, riding in London.
My experience also, no real difference to wired ons in terms of puncture protection

Interesting, round me it's all flints in the geology. I'm luck to get 1000 miles from GP4000/5000 before a terminal cut that distorts the tyre. Frankly I don't dare ride tubs.
Tubs that have been well matured (ie hung up for a couple of years in a shop or your workshop) really gain quite a bit of toughness.

I agree, letting tyres vulcanise fully helps a lot. I do that with my GPs too. Still the flints get them. I've slashed 20mm long cuts right through the carcass on MTB tyres round here.

But seriously, if you age any tyre you'll improve its puncture resistance considerably. Apparently team mechanics on the grand tours would hang their tyres with their fine hams for 3 years before glueing up.

Used to keep my tubs nice and warm under the bed until needed, especially over winter when they weren’t likely to be used. Just used to pump a bit of air into them to stop the inners sticking together.

Back