The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I'm Jonathan and I live in Sweden. Joined this site some months ago after I got a link from someone on ebay when I was looking for a 1" Pace fork for my Cannondale. However I did not buy any fork but I got some other parts and mainly a lot of inspiration getting and building my own retro bike(s).

I started riding MTB in the beginning of the 90's but quit riding regularly in 95-96 because I found playing the trumpet more amusing... now I have had a break from the trumpet playing for a couple of years and I have started riding again.

My bike history:

First bike was a CyclePro Stony Point in white, yellow and pink (got stolen).
Second bike was a Bridgestone MB-1 1992 I think. I still have this bike and it has been used as commuter bike when I studied at the university. In 2005 or 6 I decided to rebuild it with modern components (but I still have most of the original components).
Then I got a 1997 Cannondale M500 that was used as a everyday bike, and also sometimes by my girlfriend on short rides. I have split this bike and used some parts for other bikes.
I also got a Crescent Oden for commuting.

Recently I have got a 1995 Litespeed Obed, completely original as it left the store in 1995 with a mix of XTR M900 and XT components.

Then I have built a SS with a NOS Dirt Research frame from around 1995. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85101

There are also a couple of other frames in the shed, will see if I do something out of them. It is a NOS Centurion Backfire Team 1994(?), a Parkpre Pro 825, a Cycle Pro FS1 and a GT.

Maybe one day I will write a bit more about the bikes in the "Readers MTB's" section.

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the forum. You have quite a collection, get some pics up!

MVH

Hi - my first post....I found the site a couple of months ago when I started to research my ideal MTB.......as a result I am now about to start my first build - a '95 Zaskar....and yes - thanks to everything I've already read on the site - it is definitely a Zaskar........I've a lot more to ask though :)

Hi, I have been looking on the site for about a week or so now (recommended by my LBS) and I'm hooked! Have been riding since I was 12 (now 31) and if it has 2 wheels with pedals I like it :LOL:

Current rides are a DeKerf Team SST, Klein Quantum Pro, Dedacciai Scurio, 2 x Kona Kilaeua projects (94 & 9:cool: undecided which to sell and which to turn into a ss)) and finally a 98 Cove Hummer that I have just bought some Pace RC36 Evo Eddie Irvines from another Retrobike member.

I feel a little bit :oops: for not finding this site sooner. Hope to see you all around. :D

Just found this lying around on my hard drive.

Apologies for the nasty saddle and mismatching tryes. Admire the coloured anodised bits and bobs and middleburn chainrings.

4271612460_f614203ce2_b.jpg

Hi from British Columbia, Canada.
I started riding road bikes in the 80's then switched to mountain bikes when I purchased my first one in 1986. I did a lot of riding around Vancouver and Victoria. In the early 90's (92?) I purchased the bike that I still have today. It's a Salsa Ala Carte 18.5" I think. It has the first generation Judy DH forks on it now though I still have the original Bontrager ones that came with the frame when I built it.

I quit riding in the late 90's because of a few different factors. I moved to a different area where the riding was more climbing and long fast descents and not the single track I really liked. But also because of health concerns. I started getting numbness issues (some guys know what I mean) from years of riding flite saddles. I tried everything but ultimately I gave up riding after finding out how many guys had received permanent damage.

Fast forward to a little over a year ago. New advances in saddles got my interest. So I purchased an amazing saddle that gives me no issues at all and got back into riding again. I've been really excited to train and get back out on the trails after close to 10 years off. I've put a less aggressive handle bar/stem setup on the bike but other than that it's basically the same as it was in the 90's.

I'll post more pics and details of the bike in the appropriate section soon. Oh ya, it leaning on my Festivus pole here just in case you were wondering.

Attachments

• dec 2009 004.JPG
    dec 2009 004.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,187
Ya, it looks real extreme in the pic for some reason but it doesn't look that bad in person. Maybe it's the angle.
It's a Selle SMP TRK and I've been real happy with it. It's the reason I'm riding again like I said.

Alreet lads!

Found this site through a thread on PistonHeads. BITD like most fellas on here I was ******* OBSESSED with MTB's. Delamere Forest every Sunday without fail, unless we were doing some dodgy Grundig wannabee XC race in the back arse of beyond with the lads from Claude Crimes! Ahhh the days of Tomac, Tinker, and Giove (was she hot or what!!)

I had many bikes (including one of the first Raleigh Dynatechs!) through the early 90's until I had one too many stolen by the local chavs that I got over it.

Moved to Australia and fast forward to today and the love of MTBs had never really left me, although the newer bikes never really caught my eye. During a bout of nostalgia I was browsing FleaBay and I chance across a forlorn but lovely Proflex that has potential all over it.

So greetings, its like I have been asleep for 18 years, but woken up here like it was a blink of the eye, with familiar stuff like Synchro's and Ringle, CBR still making me drool.

When the Proflex gets shipped I'll whack some pics up, and let the resto commence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back