The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys
first post here, looks like a cool place, i love retro bikes :)

So here's some background info, i'm 18, from nottingham, england. I've been riding for years but mainly on cheap bikes until recently i've gotten back into it and spent some real money on my kit. I like to ride XC, all mountain, freeride etc, just anything fast and off road!

I ride a 2001 orange patriot kitted out for freeride and a 2006 carrera vulcan, both nice bikes :)

I hope you'll see me around

Hello Everyone :D

Stumbled across this site yesterday whilst trying to find picture of a Mantis Flying V - now that was some machine in its time.
Anyway, it was nice to find such a big following of older bikes.
I've been mountain biking officially since 1986, though was building up my own offroad machines as a kid from about '78, with cycle speedway tyres, low geared cranks (mm, cotter pins) and cowhorns.
First "proper" mtb was a Muddy Fox Courier (kept bending the forks), then a Stumpjumper in '88 (from Two Wheels Good in Leeds when John Stevenson worked there), which I've still got (in bits).
Then bought a 6 month old ex-demo Pace RC200F1 in '92 from Freetown Sports in Hull, which I still use and love.
Added a Santa Cruz Bullit in 2000 (from Stif), cracked the swing arm and replaced the frame in about 2003.
Seeing all this enthusiasm for all things retro on here has made me think about returning my Pace back from a wide riser bar'd rocket to how it was way back when. Still got all the old bits - RC35's with one piece steerer/stem, Renthal bars etc.
Still mad about riding but don't seem to get out enough due to the usual stuff (work, kids etc.)
I work away from home but when I get back will dig out some pics to post.

Cheers!!

The Doctor of R.A.D. (Ride All Day) has been mountain biking for some 21 years, albeit with a nine year hiatus residing in the "Where is he now?" file.

After sticking his neck out in the late 90s to found GoFar, he subsequently lost his head - at least from a functional point of view - the will to live and, temporarily, the ability to walk. Largely on the mend now, he is still as rudderless and easily distracted as ever, but currently planning a move to Bristol to be with the love of his life.

A Retrogrouch almost since day one, largely due to his unwillingness to pay top whack for new-fangled parts, he generally favoured SunTour over Shimano. MikeD commented thusly on his bike back in 1996 (http://is.gd/1pL3C):

"I do indeed recall. I have a fine memory for bikes. In fact, quite often I
recognise people by their bike. Sad, really. But I can confirm that Matt's
primary MTB is a fine example of rugged function-is-everything
ride-all-day functional ruggedness. As he says, not light but it has these
major benefits...

* Works
* Keeps working
* Will probably work for ever. Or until stocks of SunTour parts finally
dry up... "

Last seen in the possession of Samuri, the frame at least - a 1990 RockHopper - simply refused to die.

Nine years of general degradation and weight gain have left him fighting to retain Ride All Morning status, let alone Ride All Day, but a three-year-old on a tag-a-long should help with base fitness levels.

His current stable includes a 1995 S-Works FSR, a 1992 Xizang and a Peugeot crosser of unknown vintage.

He lusts after a Thorn Sterling, and is heartened to see just how many old steel mountain bike frames are still being used and cherished by the faithful.

Hi all,

I've been posting on here for a week or so and I've only just come across this thread, so I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself:

I'm a Welsh exile, now living in Worcester. I've been riding and racing mountain bikes for 15 years, since I was 14. I've dabbled in pretty much everything but concentrated mainly on 4X and Downhill until the Merida enduros started, and then I took up enduro riding.

I've always had a bit of a weak spot for any bikes that are a bit out of the ordinary, but I've only just moved into the world of Retro bikes. I'm going to add a few pics of my non-retro bike to my gallery if anyone wanted to take a look.

I've got a 14.5" Ball Burnished 1996 GT Zaskar which I'm in the process of bringing back to it's former glory, and the hunt for some nice retro parts has led me to this site.

So yes, that's about it really - I can see that this retro bike malarkey is going to cost me a small fortune! I think I should count myself lucky that I don't currently have a wife or girlfriend who would prefer that my money is spent on them instead!

Hey there, just registered today to see whats going on this forum. I have a Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS(circa 1999-2000).I have just recently spent a bit of dosh getting the old girl into what i think is pretty good nick.I have been on other forums and certain people seem to think that if your ride is over a couple of years old then your ride isn't worth talking about........just wondered what you guys and gals think.....
Have some pics on my phone which i may put on at a later date. Used to do a lot of mtb'ing but unfortunatley was in an accident and fractured my cocxyx some years ago and couldn't sit on a bike for about 2years and got out of the habit, but as I have said I have started up again with the intentions of getting fitter and shedding a few pounds.
Heard about this Forum from another that thought my bike was too old for them and was re-directed to here

Hi Everyone

Just a quick post to say hi.

Im a long time bike lover, both mountain and road. Currently have a fairly modern Cannondale and an old Condor Track bike/fixie.

Love the look of early 90's MTB's though, would love to lay my hands on an old RC200 for a cafe bike :cool:

Introducing Leon

Hi!

My bike is on here since today. I'm Leon, 34 years old and mountainbiking since i was 15 or so. Started out with an Alpine Stars Cro-Mega LX which was replaced quite soon by a Koga Miyata Skyrunner Carbolite. After that i had an 01 Attitude, a 89 Topgun (very bad condition, never ridden before selling it off), A Marin Nail FRS, a Klein Pulse Pro 98 etc. etc. Now i have a '03 Palomino and a '99 Quantum and a rigid Commencal Essence '04. Next to that i have a Commencal VIP frame laying around.

Still regret selling the Koga. Saw one in my framesize a while ago but it was sold in nowtime!

In my childhood i dreamed about Kleins and Breezers. I bought me a modern Klein in 2004. Since than a few Kleins have past. Now i just bought the Rascal, a true Klein.

Going to try to get it back into shape, just for fun and i will ride it occasionally.

hi guys!

wow, what an awesome site!

im currie, 22, midlands. i dont know whether im old enough to really class some of my rides as 'retro' i think they just about fit in.

got my first 'proper' bike, a haro ex1 when i was about 11. it was way too big for me but it had the curvy top tube so i got by - it was the envy of everyone at school who at the time were getting 'barracuda slaloms'!

since then i was into biking obsessively until my 17th when all bikes were dropped in favour of cars but over the last year or so i have been promising to get fit again and been building up an alright bike.

the main reason i got out of shape was cause all my mates went to uni and i had no riding buddies! and also i seem to have gotten asthma, but the 'exercise induced' which the docs seem to not believe. anyway after getting fed up and borrowing a mates inhaler im back on the bike with no problems and talked the docs into an inhaler and managed 24miles in 3hrs in the wyre forest - im not so out of shape as i thought!!

so the bikes i have had past are..

Haro Extreme EX1
Gary Fisher Sugar 2
Kinesis Maxlight [first home build all the bits off the fisher except with Pace C36EVOIIs]
Specy Sworks M5 with USE SUB 'prong' fork - rare!

then i went a bit weird and got into DH and jumps - fail!
Intense Tazer FS with some of the first Fox Forx - lovely bike, me only weighing 9stone i used it for full on DH where mates needed 8" travel!
DMR Sidekick jump bike
PlanetX jackflash trials bike bought for parts
DMR Sidekick trials build - new frame!
Pace RC250T trials bike - awesome!

then i got my first bit of retro and swapped the jackflash frame that was stripped for a Proflex Animal frame!

Now i have a rigid SS onone Inbred, carbon bits, king hubs and headset, mono minis..

I intend to get a pace frame soon and maybe some EVOIIIs or RC39s

I also have a wethepeople bmx and a super retro Chrome Peugeot BMX racer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back