The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I've never been a lurker, found a link to here whilst browsing some other forums and spent a morning reading... I've been in & out of mountain biking since my teens in the early 90's and I've just started again after realising what a fat ****er I've recently become.

Now in my 30's, I'm on a fully rigid Avanti Competitor Pro that I picked up for next to nothing in a 2nd hand shop after all my other bikes were nicked. Still enjoy a good blast out on it - seems like here's a good place to be!

First post, been into cycling for years and raced a bit to.

Only found this site after typing in GT STS into google.

Missing the bikes I used to ride on including an STS then a Klein Mantra Pro Carbon before moving onto a 2nd hand lobo which got tea leafed (I'm still bitter). Really want to track the above down so if anyone has any leads I'd appreciate it.

Site looks good

Newbie with a 97 F900 (killer V Frame)

Hi all.

Almost feel lost in this modern world of MTB... Until that is, i found this site...

I left Mountain Biking 10 years ago when some t@sser stole my Mountain Cycle Moho... I then bought a car and left my beloved hobby behind..

That was until recently, when i found the need to tow my two young daughters along in a trailer, and decided my collection of 70/80s bmx's where not quite appropriate to pull 4 1/2 stone..

So i found myself a 1997 Cannondale F900 in pretty good condition on Fleabay, got it home 2 days ago, stripped and cleaned, and it is as good as the day it came out the factory...

Looking forward to hunting through the old photos of some of the rides i remember back in the day... Oh and not trying to figure out the Shimano Groupsets that are available today... Apparently they need 100's of different models... Sooo Confusing...

Any way... Hello...

Marin Pine Mountain lurking in Garage

Hi, new to site, just found it, some great retro bikes

Clearing out the garage this weekend, I found my old 1995 Marin Pine Mountain lurking behind some boxes. Not ridden it for quite a few years, now ride a StumpJumper FSR.

But have to say the Marin still looks cool, always thought the frame was superb. Does anybody know if I could put a sus fork on it? tried opening the 1995 Marin catelog but not working on my machine for some reason.
Its a 1995, the one with the white industries crank and front hub. Realise I would need a new stem and probably bars, also wouldn't mind if it lifted the front a bit as my back isn't what is was back in 95.

Has anybody else converted this classic Marin?

Marin Pine Mountain lurking in Garage

Clearing out the garage this weekend, I found my old 1995 Marin Pine Mountain lurking behind some boxes. Not ridden it for quite a few years, now ride a StumpJumper FSR.

But have to say the Marin still looks cool, always thought the frame was superb. Does anybody know if I could put a sus fork on it? tried opening the 1995 Marin catelog but not working on my machine for some reason.
Its a 1995, the one with the white industries crank and front hub. Realise I would need a new stem and probably bars, also wouldn't mind if it lifted the front a bit as my back isn't what is was back in 95.

hello all. found you lot while dreaming about finishing my rascal that's been in mum's loft for 12 years! now that i've found you all maybe she (the rascal, not mum) will be happy.

Hello, I'm Alex and I'm a 30-something Manchester-based cycle addict who changes his bike more often than he washes.

I finally got around to registering here after looking on the 'net for photos of my first MTB ('89 Ridgeback 602LX which was stolen from my school within 6 months). I'm an enthusiastic amateur mechanic / custom-builder (hence the Dead Rat user ID - it's a Facebook group) and have owned a fair few bikes over the years ('05 Hardrock Pro, '90 Pacific 7000, various Saracens, an '80s Vitus 979, a '95 Claud Butler, various BMXs and Grifters) though naturally none of these came close to the thrills and spills I had on the Ridgeback!

Currently I own an '03 Specialized Enduro Expert, an '02(?) Scott Elite Racing, a '97 Saracen Kili Comp 853, a '9? Marin Hawk Hill (frame), a late '80s Raleigh Banana, a custom built jump bike and a silly bike with smaller back wheel than front, and I just sold my beloved custom Trek to a mate to fund some of the above, none of which are original or mint but are cherished nonetheless. I got my girlfriend into bikes a couple of years back and now she has a Vitus 797, a GT Timberline and a Falcon mixte for hacking around on (she's more comfortable on the road). My riding buddies have a selection which include a Klein Attitude, Stumpy FSR, Kona Fire Mountain, Rocky Mountain full suss.

Some of the threads on this forum have been inspiring and extremely helpful to me over the past few weeks, so excuse my laziness in not registering earlier!!!

Re: Marin Pine Mountain lurking in Garage

Aideo":3rjiqqib said:

Yup plenty on here, My 95 Team Marin was kitted out with Pace RC35's soon after I bought it. You could happliy source a set on here. Or if you do want to jack the front end up, that can be done using some more modern longer travel forks (urgghhh!) Your frame should be 1 1/8th so not an issue to find forks for it.

Hi, new to the site.

Got myself a bright green and yellow MBK All Terrain on ebay. Was looking for some info via google and found nothing.

It's defo retro, but now looking at some proper retro bikes on this site i am no longer convinced it is cool retro.

Any info on the history of this bike would be appreciated if anyone knows. Also looking to upgrade and just tinker about with it if anyone has any ideas. New paint job i think!

Stumbled across the site last week. Convinced me to dig out my 97 Rockhopper that's been sitting feeling sorry for itself in my folks shed.

Frame now stripped (apart from the bloody BB). Once that's taken care of, off to get shot blasted and powder coated and then turned into a single speeder. Planning on using mostly new (er) parts (sacrilege, burn the heretic!), mostly because the originals really are knackered (Used as a 15 mile a day commuter for 2.5 years with the very bare minimum of maintenance). Well, that and disc brakes are just plain sexy.

Well, we'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back