The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this seems the right place to say hello - so here I am, a 90's mtb refugee, perhaps I've found a home :)

I'm enjoying digging through the various threads & reminding myself of the bikes me & my mates used to read about - we basically spent all our free time from age 10-16 on our bikes. I've had all sorts of bikes from the late 80's and through the 90's - Universal(!), Marin, Trek, Specialized, and some BMX's like Mongoose, Haro etc. But I never owned a GT...

A year or two ago, I got another cheap Trek, after a long stint off the bike. It did the job, I covered a few trails on it, but it wasn't really inspiring & I was living in town, which made it difficult to get back into riding - last month however, I moved into the country (backing onto some nice trails in Herts) :twisted:

Then a few weeks ago at work, I spotted a rather dirty, battered looking MTB in the warehouse, hmm... seems like it has the old triple triangle... time to investigate. Turns out this is for sale, and its a GT Zaskar ('97 maybe?) with some '02 Judy's, a mix of LX/XT/XTR kit and in comparison to my Trek, really very light. A few days later, it's in my shed & the deal is done! It's battered, but it's like a whippet through the tracks round here, and climbs like nothing else I've ridden. Not much I need to replace on it, but I'm sure I can find something...

In the meantime I'll be finding inspiration & drooling over GT's around here, cya around :D

It's.......................................a Kona Hahanna

What's up.

Albash thanks for the post.

That Kona Lava Dome sexy green frame is the reason I'm here. Had one of those in the 90's before a low life decided to take it on extended loan. Currently looking to build up a Kona Hahanna ('96 I think) and am midway through painting the frame. Picked it up for a song at the local tip and it's barely been ridden.

Anyhow. See you in the forums. Maybe.

Rd

Hello to everyone. A belated and much over due one at that, many apologies to tap you all up for advice before introducing myself, I had one of those rebuild itches that had to be scratched hope you understand.

Bike history goes:

First bike Raleigh Boxer the old man found as a frame and wheels in a ditch.
Second bike fully chromed supertuff burner brought with a box of bits for a tenner had to build that and make a new free wheel spring as I got fed up with it slipping teeth under pressure.
Third bike Raleigh Rapide Campag groupset 531 tubing, time trials and road stuff.
Forth bike Marin BV SE 91 edition I believe used it for a few years for off road messing about and the odd (1) race then got moth balled.

I remembered the other week how much I used to enjoy Offroad riding, decided to track the old steed down. Discovered the issues she'd got, got googling for Rock Shox info stumbled across RetroBike, set the crash cart to her with RB's members help and she lives. Worried the tweaking and retro part upgrading will never end now :( Thanks everyone.

Wow - where to start! What a site - can't believe I stumbled across it.

OK, thanks John for sorting out my logging in issues first of all.

I was MTBing since '86 with a Raleigh Maverick. Had various other bikes in the years that followed, incl. Dawes Ascent.

Then got even more serious with a Fisher Celerity in 1990. Still have it and it has loads of different kit on it - incl. original style Gripshift and Vanguard brake levers (after seeing Greg Herbold's set up in an old issue of MBUK). Deore 'low profile' canti's, girvin flexstem, 3ttt extreme bars and the last additions were a flite saddle and x-lite seat bolt.

Also have a '91 Supercal with (amongst other bits) ride-on gore tex cables, Manitou 2 forks, club roost bars, onza L bend bar ends, etc, etc.
Sadly as the sig. says it now has a crack in the head tube as I discovered last week. :cry:

I also can't believe I gave away a '93 Marin Bobcat Trail (I used to bike to work on) to a friend a while back FOC! Wish I'd kept it now.

Anyway, am slowly getting back into riding after 10 years and a huge accident involving a car and I meeting somewhat rapidly and being unable to walk for a few months. I thought I'd never ride again but seeing my kids get so into bikes now I can't help myself, even if it is at a much lower and slower level than before!

This site has brought back many memories - incl. top tube pads, shoulder holder's and the like from my early days - right up to later times and meeting the likes of Joe Murray, etc.

One question, no doubt the first of many, can you still get those little rubber elastomer bits for the flexstem?

That's all for now.

Simon

Hi,
Long time lurker and now actually posting something!
I found this site whilst looking for information about Orange Clockworks.
I have a 92 Clockwork, which I have had since new.
That's just about all for now.

Roger

Hi folks

Been riding a Rockhopper '95 from new, spend most of my cycling time on a t**r*ng/r**d bike these days; stumbled on the forum by accident and have been inspired to build a Kona singlespeed - largely cos the r**d bike cost too much to use it to go to the shops in case it gets half inched and I've got a shed load of MTB spares gathering dust that should let me build the Kona with minimum hassle and expense.

Thanks for those who have already offered support, advice and parts elsewhere in here.

Another Newbie

Hi Guys,

Just to say a quick hello. I've been thinking about getting a retro bike for a while now and have finally decided to see what's going on and what is around (after a lot of pining for my old GT Bravado LE).

That's all for the time being, I'll hold off my million questions until i get to know you all a bit better :D .

JR

Hi! I'm new in here. My name is Julio and I'm from Ourense, Spain and I'm 24. I have read a few times topics of this forum and today I have decided to register, and I did it.
I have two classic mtb and I want to restore them. I started riding bikes since I was a little child, firstly "cross" bikes and later a pair of humble mtb (orbea start and otero vereda, both made of steel). I find it somewhat difficult to talk in English but I understand you perfectly. It's my pleasure be part of this community. I will expose my doubts here and if I can do something for you, I will.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back