The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive me , Im trying to get to grips with the 21st century. If I,m doing this right I should be telling you that I have been mountain biking since 88 ,Muddyfox Roadrunner and so on getting keener but no better ever since.

Hi

Hi, just introducing myself. Great site, I thought I was the only one who liked the retro bikes.

I'll post pics of my M-Trax 250 comp in the readers' bikes section for you to have alook at, not sure if it's retro or not but I like it anyway.

Great site

I've just discovered this great site after finally deciding to rebuild my Rocky Mountain Cirrus after hanging the frame on the garage wall for a few years.javascript:emoticon(':shock:') I'm LOVING IT. The amount of info and love on here for stuff I'd forgotten about - all those machined, anodised parts made by small machine shops in California (and Yorkshire!) - it's bringing it all back.

The plan is to get it back on the trail as a singlespeed - pretty unoriginal I'm sure but just seeing that rigid syncros fork and stem and the just makes me want to keep the whole feel pretty simple... I'll probably get beaten sensless from what I remeber about the frame build.

Anyway - looking forward to all that 'bum in the air, low flat bars' kind of handling.

Hi,

just joined after finding the forum searching for replacement parts for my Manitou forks.

I have a Dynatech MT4 frame with Manitou 1 forks, and 1993 XT groupset (1993 DX B/B and headset). Mavic M231 rims on XT hubs, with Ritchey Megabite (front) and IRC Geoclaw tyres (rear). Shimano M737 SPD pedals, Purple Marin bottle cages and Onza porcipaw grips (very early-mid 90s!), and some black Onza bar ends. I've only ridden a couple of hundred miles on it since building it at the end of 1993 / early 1994 when I was 17. Only thing more recent is the seatpost 1999 Control Tech (had a USE suspension seatpost when the bike was built, but the frame really didn't like the seatpost + shim idea (or I was sold the wrong size shim)).

The bike is partly in bits waiting to repair the forks or put the original rigid forks back on, but I will add a photo once it's back together.

I also have a 1993 Ridgeback 603GS :oops: (which has the rigid forks from the Dynatech fitted at present as I bent the originals in an accident) and a 1991 Raleigh Mirage :shock: both of which I've also owned from new.

I haven't really been into bikes since the mid-1990s, but trying to get back into it now. Struggling to get my head around all of the new stuff and who makes what now though.

Always used to like mid 1990s Marins when they were dark and light grey colour, and still have a thing for Orange bikes, but never owned either.

Damien

Well here's my ride

This was a bit of a nail when I fist gout it.. a few pounds spent and a good bit of time..

Actually just sold it recently... shame she had to go..

Attachments

• GT5.jpg
    GT5.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • GT2a.jpg
    GT2a.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • GTshock.jpg
    GTshock.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Hi Guys. I've been perusing the page for the past few days and reliving my youth. Some amazing stuff.

I'm the proud owner of a 1993 (I think) Orange Prestige. Bought as a frame in 1994 and built up using components at the time. Its been used on and off for the last 14 years but the Majority of components are still originals.

Crushed me about a year ago when the old Uno seatpost seized in the frame and the only way to get it out was to exert a bit of heat on it. The guys at Bicycle in Richmond did a grand job but inevitably there was a bit of frame discolouration and my Tange sticker was destroyed (anyone know where I can get another one by the way?)

Anyway, hello, and keep up the great work on this cracking page!

Attachments

• orangeprest2.jpg
    orangeprest2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,201
eddie @ Leicester

Just getting back into the sport, currently got time on my hands. I'm in housebuilding so works scarce. I'd be interested in midweek runs near leicester.

rides

Saracen killi flyer
Saracen Killi ultra ti
DDG Aluminium hard tail with carbon girvins
Carlton pr-am12
Dawes super galaxy

Joined a couple of days ago, just thought I’d post to say hi.

Started hitting the trails back in the 70’s with a Raleigh Olympus racer fitted with cow horns bars and a set of cyclo cross knobbles.

Fast forward a few years and my first MTB was a Marin Palisades Trail cira 1988, made the mistake of using road bike sizing so this was quickly swapped out for a Marin Eldridge Grade, one of the first in the country.

Saved my pennies and bought an Orange Aluminium “O” which although I just did not gel with it and sold her on.

Bought a replacement Raleigh DynaTech Diablo DX in 1992, which I still have and love to bits.

In the stable I currently have the Old faithful DynaTech, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath (hopefully soon to go to a relative), a Specialized Rockhopper Comp and a Battaglin Road Bike.

Used to ride out and race with the CyclePathixs based at Larkfield, Maidstone.

Nice to see some of the older bikes held in such high regard.

Anybody located SE London or NW Kent are there any meets / ride outs ?

i'm new

hello.

got into mtb in mid 90's. 1st bike was a 21inch (why did dads buy you such big bikes when you were 11?) raleigh mustang. then my first true love - a '94 lava dome i got off my cousin when i was about 13 or 14??? it was pretty much standard apart from some x-lite titanium bars. that got upgraded with pretty much full xt, put some x-lite xc risers on & got my 1st set of hope hubs on mavic rims (think they were a citrus colour???) anyway, i actually managed to snap the chainstay on the drive side - well it was the dropout that snapped. so i replaced the frame with the 1st caldera they brought out - 98 i think, black with red decals. the full bike got nicked out of my dad's shed about 2 or 3 weeks later along with my bro's marin mt vision & my mate's zaskar.....

so when i finally got over that the insurance paid for a mid-season ltd edition pahoehoe (came with marz Z2 lights rather than z3, xt chainset & polished frame). bought some new wheels for it (hope on velocity xc rims), and then about 3 weeks later, somebody broke into the garage.... they couldnt steal the whole thing as it was d-locked to rafters round the frame but they used my tools & stripped the forks, wheels & brakes. i couldnt believe it!!!

i built the bike back up about 2 years ago to ride to work with some inadequate bits (alivio, mx-comp forks) it rides nice tho as you'd expect. then earlier this year i bought a brand spanking marin rift zone to hammer at my local trails (stainburn woods near harrogate) and in dalby. i also went to the singlespeed event in drumlanrig & taped up all my gears.

i recently had a mate weld my old lava dome & have nearly acquired all the bits to build it up as a singlespeed rigid. i just need some p2's (it's a 19inch so a long steerer is needed) & a seatpost & seat clamp. think the post is 27.2 but if someone could please confirm??
also found some VERY RETRO bits the other day - my bro's old rockshox mag 20's he had on his '93 kilauea, an old ringle bottle cage & my old flat x-lite ti bars.. they took me back! also still got my mt zefal luminous pink pump i've had since the days of my mustang!

well. sorry for the long post - if anyone acutally bothered to read it....

Attachments

• DSC00741small.JPG
    DSC00741small.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1,122
  • DSC00751small.JPG
    DSC00751small.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back