The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
new to retro bike

hello retro bike ..i was given a orange aluminium o <pop rivet cable guides> and started to strip parts off etc untill all i had was frame ..as i did this i had flash backs of my first mt bike times kona 89 explo splat paint lime green i loved that bike over the years i had a few bikes but nothing was as much fun etc as that one ..i got a old racer i rode for years to work etc but now am into the retro mt bike thing ..allmost went fixie/singlespeed or 29er but its so expecive.. but i get the vibe most of fixed riders seem to be super hip loaded kids ugh..think i will sell the plug this year put the cash towards a second retro mt bike, the new mt bikes are so over the top ..my old mt bikes were fine for trails leeping off jumps riding rivers etc ..chers all i have allready got some good deals on parts from here and help too ...

Hi, I'm Philip from Antwerp, Belgium. Found this site while searching the net for my first true love, a 1992 GT Tequesta and what a find it was! This is really a great place to do research on MTB history and to recreate part of it. Started mountainbiking in 1989, fell in love with it in 1992 because of my Tequesta, from then on I've always ridden a GT. Unfortunately I totalled my Tequesta in 2000(hence my name Bikebuster), since then I've had an Agressor and an Avalanche, but I'm still missing the unique feeling the Tequesta had, so now I'm trying to find the exact one I used to have. Unfortunately things never turn out as you expect they do. Instead of buying a Tequesta, six weeks ago I purchased another Avalanche, then started building up a new Merida HFS 3000 frame to conquer the mud during the weekends, bought a great looking Sintesi Bromont frame two days ago together with a Marzocchi DH-3 and will very likely be buying an early GT RTS within the next few minutes. Life is beautiful! :p

Yes, it's orange. I decided to buy it because I saw the one you had, it's really an incredible looking bike. I've only got the frame and fork, the rest I'll have to cobble together with what I can find. Below is the image the seller posted, I'll have it by the end of the week I think. Any comments, please let me know.

Attachments

• bromont%20gemonteerd.jpg
    bromont%20gemonteerd.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,371
Hey Retrobikers... I've just found this place after thinking about getting back into riding after 10ish years out. I was considering buying something new, but then after finding this place I figured I would get my old Kona out of storage and dust it off, maybe even give it some new(ish) period parts, so I'm off to pick it up on Tuesday.

Spec as I remember it (bear with me it's been 10 years):

'95 White Kona Kilauea
Pace RC36 forks
Hope front mechanical disc brake
Avid Speed Dial 2.0 levers
Gripshift of some description
XTR Rear Mech
XTR Rear V-Brakes
XT Rear Hub on Mavic 231 (which I wrecked 10ish years ago and never fixed)
Ritchey Red SPDs
X-Lite bar ends

That's about all I remember, but I'll surely remind myself when I go and pick the thing up. I seem to remember having a vaguely red and white theme going on so we'll see how hideous my 90s taste was.

I live in Edinburgh in Scotland and Glentress is only 30mins from my door step, thanks to Retrobike, this is one Kona that will ride again! Pics to follow, suggestions for bits to replace welcome!

Cheers,
Callum

Bikebuster":11wcy94b said:
Yes, it's orange. I decided to buy it because I saw the one you had, it's really an incredible looking bike. I've only got the frame and fork, the rest I'll have to cobble together with what I can find. Below is the image the seller posted, I'll have it by the end of the week I think. Any comments, please let me know.

I spotted it for sale too. I do not have particular comments on the bike. Looks good on the pic. Now idea why it is orange. Ex Dutch National team bike ?? Looking forward to see it finished in Reader's Rides.

Hey all...

Ran across the site when showing my cousin (18 year old for whom anything less than 5" travel is unrideable) how much better a nice Fat Chance looks than most boingers around now. And I'm hooked again. Had got out of biking for a while but a possible move to the Dales got me back in.

First decent bike was the Saracen, been through a few incarnations, raced around the Leisure Lakes Series and elsewhere during the early to mid 90s. Poor bugger's now sprayed and CETMA-racked for shopping and hauling.

Cannondale's the commuter, but occasionally whack a set of drops on it and go crossing. Drop bar Maguras are the kings...

Picked up the Marin off ebay just, supposedly to give to a mate to get around on, but y'know...I might just keep it.

Attachments

• cannondale.jpg
    cannondale.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,325
  • luggage.jpg
    luggage.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,325
  • marin1.JPG
    marin1.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,325
hi y'all,

I was trolling for spares for my bikes when I stumbled on ya webby.

I thought there weren't many sickos like me... sadly, I stand corrected.

Very cool.

I'm in Singapore by the way and currently have 2 puppies (not including my kid), a '94 yo eddy and a '93 specialized s works (tange prestige). the fat I'm still babying and have relegated her mostly to road riding (shod with 1.25 panaracer t-serv) while the s works still gets pounded on a weekly basis.

Friends think I'm old fashioned and/or have my priorities messed up. I think you guys know what i'm talking about so i guess i'm in 'good' company.

Anyhow, thanks for the forum. this is gonna be nuts.

Hello there,
I heard some very good things about this site in a forum in France, so I came here to watch and I found some very interesting informations with beautiful bikes ! So now I'm coming to introduce myself : I'm a man, working in industrial and graffic design, living in the center of France. I am fan of titanium frames and parts, original and radical shapes, and always looking for informations about MTB.
Few mountain bikes are living with me in my flat :
Vitus Dural 1992
Sbike 828 1994
Merlin Taïga Singlespeed 1996
Cannondale Raven 1998
Sunn Exact Ti 1998
Sunn Exact Ti 1999
Sunn Exact Ti Flex 1999
Corratec Superbow Titan 2005
(I am not sure about the years of production, I have to verify and hope you'll help me)
I also have got some very old bikes, but I will show you some pictures soon...

Hi All

Until she developed a crack in the frame i rode a '95 Kula :D Now have a 2008 Kula frame sitting at home, and wondering what to do with it :?:

Also have a 1999 Marin Mount Vision - not really retro though i suspect :roll: [/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back