The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am Rob's overdeveloped and incredibly overpowering inner child.

I remind Rob of many of his greatest moments as a child, and attempt to recreate them now. Many of these moments just happended to take place on old schwinn bikes from the 1960s converted into mountain bikes, and if lucky, an actual mountain bike.

they provided an escape then, and they still do now...so while most of my tasks have been phased out...retrobiking will remain strong...at least so long as I have a say.

-GoldenEraMTB

Hi,I've been posting on here for a few weeks so thought I'd introduce myself.Been mtbing since the late '80's racing xc as a junior then dh for a bit in the mid '90's before breaking some bones and becoming a bit disillusioned(ie got fat!).Finally started the dark art of road racing a few years ago and got a bit serious again,still love mtb's for fun riding/cross training but these creaking heavy full suss bikes do my head in so love the old hardtails.Currently building up a Fat Chance Yo Eddie that should be ready for the peaks ride,hopefully see you there!

Hello,
I started MTB's in the late 80's.
Went through a few bikes, Started out with a Townsend (I think) that I upgraded with things like DX etc... that got nicked... So I bought a black Orange Prestige which I cannot remember the groupset but will have been XT or very first XTR or a mix (self build). Loverly bike, Orange alu forks, Ritchey WCS (gold ones) and all sort of loverly bits. Don't remember it that much as it got nicked before I got used to it :(
So I went via some importer and bought a Rocky Mountain Altitude frame (around 1992 I think) that was reportedly one of 7 only in the country at the time. Frame number RM1039. I think it was an demonstration frame the team used at some racing event in the UK once.
Got Mag 20's for it, broke them, got Mag21's for it....
Not much braking of components but some changing and putting the old stuff onto andohter bike, it still runs today, well ok I got it out the shed last week and presumably will still run.
There are a few things I know I need for it, lol.
I think I got it to around 23.5lb (yes a weight weenie and I did have a Ti-Flite with with no padding and lots of holes in it for a year or so, remarkably comfy as well... Bet my bottom would not say that now though)

Anyways, my friends all loved it and they had Alpinstars, Orange, Proflex, Raleigh Ti, 'dales, GT. I still love it.

Stopped real biking as I went to Uni (1996ish) and things like V brakes and new XTR groupsets started to appear.
It was very hard to buy a new bike at the time when you're so use to quality and nice bikes. Fast forward 12 years, getting older, using it to commute in between every now and again and I find myself at this website pulling the bike out the shed.....

Hello from new member

Hi, I just joined the RetroBike forum. I'm a big fan of old Bontrager bikes -- I interviewed at Bontrager Cycles in 1993 (slept on KB's couch and rode some great bikes!) and have been a fan ever since. I've started a little photo collection of various old KB-built bikes and I've also recently created a mailing list for Vintage Bontragers.

I have a 1994 Bontrager Race (Medium) with a 1997 Marzocchi Z2 fork and XTR M900 cranks (not pictured)

292774805_6182388a53.jpg

The bike with previously installed Manitou 3 fork:
115059262_ff6c93cc70.jpg

I'm looking to try out a larger frame (I'm 5'10") so I'm looking for a Large Race or Privateer (or Ti Lite, but they're still too spendy!)

I had a 1993 Cannondale M700 as well, but I sold that a couple of years ago...
146591871_de8bad0479.jpg

I have a stash of Manitou 3/4 forks and parts as well.

I'm in San Francisco, CA USA.

-Jim G

Just found this excellent site and thought I ought to register and say Hi, as it’s all bringing back so many memories...

Started mountain biking on a Dawes Countryman, having previously been impressed with a mates Raleigh Bomber! Realised Countryman was seriously uncool but could be improved by putting it on a diet. Started reading MBUK early on and somehow purchased a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, god knows how I afforded it as a student? Probably my loan for that year! Anyway Stumpy was fantastic bike, got me started doing a bit of racing, but as so often happens it and all the blue pimpy Ringle bits were sadly stolen...

Anyway, used insurance money to buy a 1996 Dekerf Team from Richard at Magic Bikes in Whitechapel Road, which I still have, ride regularly and would never sell. Having escaped London to Derbyshire, and doing slightly more testing riding finally succumbed in 2002 and bought a Santa Cruz Heckler, which I also still have.

Used to train and occasionally race with Thames Tradesman, if there is anyone else on here? Also used to ride Beastway with the Magic team and other regulars.

Future, really want a Pace RC200 frameset, one for the fantastic engineering and also because I was constantly being overtaken by factory riders such as Richard Thackray at various events.

Cheers John :)

Hello everyone,

My current ride is a GT Avalanche Expert 2007.....OK I know it's not retro but I still like it and hope others do too....I've always been into MTB's since I can remember. I owned a GT Timberline in the 90's however this was later stolen. I then owned a second hand Merlin customised MTB a mate had built.

Never been able to afford the bikes I dreamed of having when I was younger, I decided that now I'm older and earn a bit more money, to save up and buy the GT. But that still didn't fill the void of not been able to own any of the most superb MTB's of the 1990's.

Which is why I have just purchased my first retro frame (Orange Clockwork 1990) which I'm just about to carryout a full restoration on.

I will post pictures of the completed restoration at a later date...

Thanks

Phil

Hi

Manage to get a pic of my GT Avalanche Expert. Hope ya like.

Laters

Phil

Attachments

• GT Avalanche Expert.jpg
    GT Avalanche Expert.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,451
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back