The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Hi all, I bought a Kona Hahanna last year to go riding with some friends of mine from CUBVR4 it was my first time MTBing and had a great time and got the bug.

Ive always been in to riding but mostly riding to work on road, but don't like doing that any more as the roads are getting so bad.

My old bike that i still have is a Diamondback Traverse that im thinking of turning in to a single speed.

I live in Stoke on Tent and if anybody is close and nows of good places to ride give me a shout.

Ill get some better pics of my bike but this is 1 off 3 of us at Coed Y Brenin.[/url]

Attachments

• 1189615789.jpg
    1189615789.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,159
Hi, been lurking for a week thought i should hello. Awesome site reminds me of the good old days when i was fairly fit and got a chance to go riding a couple of times a week. Robin.

98 spooky metalhead
2000 gt dhi
99 arrow dss
99 gt sts xcr 1000
99 sunn vinill bmx
95 giant cadex cfm2 project

Howdy all. Just stumbled across this site whilst googling what would be involved in putting discs on my Bontrager (Trek?) Privateer (1997). I've hammered the bike a lot in the last 10 years and I think all that remains of it is the frame (respray by Dave Yates in 2005), brakes and handlebar. Used it for what it was designed for and nothing has failed, just wear and tear maintenance.

8f940a2d93b4f760805410eec53cb6ea_009.jpg

91d57cf5fa60cd71b7a5c8a76bc79821_1c6.jpg

ee56efbfa28950bed8d2124c459cdb26_843.jpg

It's not an ornament, I treat it more like a trusty Land Rover than a posh Range Rover! :)

Hopefully still got plenty of life in the frame!

Bonty with disks

Hello all Just joined this week.
I've been racing a Santa Cruz Bonty Race for the last few years now and it compares well to modern bikes in ride quality but I had a disk mount fitted by mercian (I wouldn't do that again (I mean have it fitted mercian)) so I could have some real stopping power and wouldn't have to have a new rear rim every 6 months.
Now the time has come to move on and I'm getting the bike ready for sale if any bodies interested. There's a pic of the bike in action on another bonty thread further along the index.

Oldie but goodie

Greetings Joined a week or so ago after site surfing.. I ride (since 1995) a Cannondog sv 700 carbon (MISSY GIOVE SIGNATURE ) after I was taken up the behind by a skip lorry destroying my sm500 (now a long annoying windchime ) Ive given up the thought of replacing her as Im on my 3rd set of forks 3rd set of rear hopes but the front hope is still alive well everything apart from the frame and swingarm have been replaced at least twice. original paint and is still ridden 30miles per day in every weather but most weekends off !! The Muddy Fox Courier Comp was fist raced at the Mycycles Malvern hills classic in 1990 Ive still got the tshirt and video somewhere it also did the Cheddar challenge that year.. Its got bits from the bike garage on it Grafton speed trap copys in purple 1950s touring bars etc anyway blah blah blah.. thats it

Attachments

• DSC03548 (Small) (Small) (WinCE).JPG
    DSC03548 (Small) (Small) (WinCE).JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • DSC06235 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC06235 (WinCE).JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,505
  • DSC06239 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC06239 (WinCE).JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,505
J i m s t e r":21fn10z3 said:
So is getting discs fitted to your frame a bad idea, or was it just Merican who didn't do a good job?

Having disks fitted was with out a doubt a good idea. I love the old frame but I like riding it and disk brakes are one of the modern advancements I wouldn't do with out.
The paint job from mercian was great , rich and deep. I paid an extra £10 to have them apply the graphics that I'd had an ebay search for 6 months for so they could lacquer over the top to help protect them. The downtube graphic was skewed and not central on the tube and the top tube graphic was back to front. I just didn't feel the disk mount was as nice as i'd have wanted on a £600 frame. Saying all that the bike still rides with bontragers ledgendry handling but now has sensible brakes and is a cool apple green colour.
The moral is if you're having any restoration work done make sure every detail is written down accurately with diagrams and double checked and rechecked because your 10 year old pride and joy may be just an old steel MTB if the person behind the counter isn't in to your neach of retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back