The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

The SL-150 nearly finished.

New acrylic armboard and Rega RB250 fitted. I have a Nagaoka MP-11 Gold waiting for some M2.5 bolts to arrive for its installation. Retro hifi too! :) Seriously considering stripping the paint off the arm tube and polishing it up to a mirror finish a-la the Rega RB600

1501112_10152053890907778_968189422_o.jpg

ooooh a truntable with a strobe. i used to drool over a similar sony back in the days when i was not yet working, couldn't afford one on my measly pocket money and child protitution hadn't been invented then.

It now has a cartridge fitted and looks very fine indeed.

Just need to buy or build a phono pre-amp so I can have a listen to this, and all of the other tables I have sitting in the workshop!

I was down the tip today and I notice 'National' on a small box in the cardboard skip. One of the guys grabs it for me and its a box for Technics SB-F2 in black, complete with sleeves and packing...

Perfect for the Technics SB F2 I have that are also... in black!

Frome the tip about ten years ago!

Spooky!

Aaaaagh!

sb-f2.JPG

I don't know if Naim is a truly dirty word around here, but a friend recently built a Stageline clone based on a couple of the 523-K plug-in boards that I had lying around since I gave my old Nait3 integrated amp to my folks about 5 years ago.

The design is fantastically simple. It uses a 36V power supply - in my case via an old HP printer supply - to a couple of semi-proprietary voltage regulators to generate a smooth 24V twin rail supply to power the boards. The regulators were designed by an American guy called Teddy Pardo and you'll turn up circuit designs etc if you search for " Teddy regs" - plus a load more suggestions across several forums on how to further modify the design.

I took the simple route and just bought a pre-built pair of regs as I'm hopeless with a soldering iron. So the regs sit between the 36V input and the boards, then the boards just need to have the input, output and earth connected and you're away. I chose to stick with the simple plug-in design rather than solder the boards in place. That way could switch it between MM and MC easily enough if I pick up a pair of MM boards in future.

I'd say this is an interesting option if you already have the boards - as I did - or if you come across a pair at a fair price. I wouldn't go out and buy a pair of boards at RRP and then start on the homebrew project though! The phono stage is busy at the moment, but if it gets some downtime later then I'll take some photos so you see how simple it is. It's presently sitting between my LP12/Ekos/Akiva and an ATC SIA2-150 and making Marvin Gaye sound exceptionally smooth!

As a point of reference, it's sitting on top of a Linn Linto that's been switched off and powered down since I got the homebrew unit. Objectively, it doesn't have the refinement in the soundstage that the Linto has - but it's not at all far behind, and for a fraction of the price. Then there's minor annoyances like the gain is a touch low for the Akiva, but I believe that can be tweaked by swapping a couple of resistors on the boards (which I might attempt later).

Of course, if you don't like Linn or Naim gear or their sound then this idea might not be for you, but it's a simple and mighty effective way of using a pair of boards that you'd otherwise give away or sell.

Cheers,
Gareth.

apache":18oxa6t6 said:
It now has a cartridge fitted and looks very fine indeed.

Just need to buy or build a phono pre-amp so I can have a listen to this, and all of the other tables I have sitting in the workshop!

Incidentally, I have an old Henley Designs MC phono stage (model HMC-50) in need of repair that you can have for karma if you want. I bought it ages ago and used it with the Akiva for a fair while but took it to pieces to use the box and plugs as the basis for the homebrew Stageline. Turns out the box wasn't suitable for the project so it's been sitting in pieces since.

You'll need to put a few hours into putting it back together but I'm sure you'll have no problem. It won't help you if you have a MM cartridge though!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So I get a call from the guys at the tip at around 3pm today.

I am now the proud owner of a late model Quad 44 pre and 606 power, boxed as new...

Am going for a lie down.

Apologies for watering down the pros thread, I'm after a bit tech advice, I've got a teac ah-300 mini separates system, and the remote isn't working, changed the batteries, so before I go pulling the amp to bits, anyone have an idea what I need to be looking out for, any known faults, had the system from new.

Cheers

Jim

To find out if the remote works, point it at a portable radio on long wave or medium wave. You'll hear it if it works!

Back