The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

If the Quad needs anything, I know the 44 inside out now. Repaired and upgraded a fair few over the last year!

Just sold a 33 I bought from eBay for not very much in 'unknown condition'. Got £110 for it, which seems to be about ceiling for 33s these days. Have a 34 in minty condition, with MM and MC modules and a load of DIN to phono cables which will be up for grabs when I finish re-capping it.

Re. the MC pre-amp, find out how much it will cost to post to UK, I'll happily take it for postage and a beer.

Anyone have an opinion on the divisive topic of bi-wiring?

I've just treated myself to a hifi update, gone is the 'get-out-of jail' freebie jvc amp which was quite frankly yucckk. Gone are the 16 yr old-ish Wharefdale S500. Now spotify streaming and my cd's sound quality ranges from excellent to astonishing...which brings me back to the original question. I've bought some Tannoy V4's which can be bi-wired. I've never done this before and from what i understand, depending upon who you are, it either works or is a waste of cable.

I'm not sure whether to blow another 30 odd quid on cables or keep the money, revel in the improved sound quality and put it towards replacing the laser on my trusty but skippy Marantz CD63.

Bi wiring is a hifi myth. It does change the load on the amplifier but that should be it.

It was marketing to sell speakers that is all. Some expensive models came out with high & low (and sometimes mid) terminals so you could either fit an active crossover or bi-amp.

Bi-amping really does make a difference of up to 10db extra volume. Also, using a power amp per speaker reduces cross talk and improves stereo separation. Those are genuine gains from tweaking hifi.

£30 would buy a decent 2nd hand CD player or amp so dont waste too much worry on speaker cable - they do nothing unless they interfere with the impedance/ resistance or capacitance.

legrandefromage":317ewpu4 said:
Bi wiring is a hifi myth. It does change the load on the amplifier but that should be it.

It was marketing to sell speakers that is all. Some expensive models came out with high & low (and sometimes mid) terminals so you could either fit an active crossover or bi-amp.

Bi-amping really does make a difference of up to 10db extra volume. Also, using a power amp per speaker reduces cross talk and improves stereo separation. Those are genuine gains from tweaking hifi.

£30 would buy a decent 2nd hand CD player or amp so dont waste too much worry on speaker cable - they do nothing unless they interfere with the impedance/ resistance or capacitance.

Thanks for the synopsis! It's what my deeply buried A level physics was also telling me. I think i'll work up to to separate power amps as i only just understand intergrated ones, although i like the sound of better stereo separation. It's interesting that you mention decent 2nd hand cd players. I just assumed that because i could easily get hold of a new laser and hand it all over to my local electrician i would go down that route. I've always like the sound of my CD63 which i got new in about 1995 and not even thought about replacing. I know it's very subjective but could i do better than the 'old girl'?

It's been interesting listening to Spoitfy though a QED Uplay Plus via an ipad mini and comparing it to the same music on CD. The marantz is certainly warmer while the QED, especially on the tracks that are streamed at higher bit rates, seems more open but with maybe just a touch less bass. It's not bad for a bluetooth receiver. It would be nice to get a CD player that would give me the best of both worlds...and for £30 too :)

I do think there is a placebo effect, I bought into the biwire upgrade and can hear a difference and even if there is none the effect on my perception is the same, think this self delusion effect accounts for a lot of so called snake oil upgrades. And agree apache worked wonders with my marantz 48._

The good lady was out last night so kids to bed and settle down for a good listen....

And i have to say i have fallen in love with my cd player again. The new amp and speakers really allow it to shine. Obviously i have only had one cd player in maybe 15 years so i've not much to compare it too but it really sounds great. I spent a pleasurable hour attacking problematic cd's with Brasso which helped with skipping. Maybe Apache could be the man.

Back