The GT so far

Not quite bottom of the range... Outpost Trail, Outpost and Talera came 'below' Timberline... Well, in 1994 when I bought mine. :LOL:

I lost the black plastic tube when I converted to V brakes in about 1996... Replaced it with a bit of cable outer when I converted back last year. I put end cabs on it and it looks quite neat now.

Cracking bike though, having owned a few similar budget frames both modern and older since, I'd say it's my favourite frame to ride.

Anyway, I finally photographed the GT;

main.php

Sweet. I love the oversized tubing on the alu models but I also really like how the steel ones show off the GT geometery so nicely. Nice bike though. :)

Just a quickie... were early saracen frames made by same people as early gt's? they seemed to have a similar toptube with an 's' etched in where the 'gt' is.

JT

J.T.":1h9dsh3z said:
Just a quickie... were early saracen frames made by same people as early gt's? they seemed to have a similar toptube with an 's' etched in where the 'gt' is.

JT

I once asked the very same question myself, as it is details I tend to notice, and I noticed the similarities between GT and Saracen frames before now, but that is about it from the responses I received at the time.

My curiousity was again rekindled when it is I first rode the GT, the memory went straight back to an almost forgotten Saracen E- stay of a friends I tried back in the day, erm.. 1993. I remember that E- stay climbed with ease, where my traditional design frame was not as easy. The only difference between the two bikes was the geometry, as they both ran the same gear train and wheel set up.

But as to the stamped GT on the end of the seat tube, I believe that came on later GT's, whereas Saracen had it in '92, also Saracen's pierced ovalised top tube also appeared in '92, GT was it earlier ? So similar ideas bouncing around between at least two designers on opposite sides of the Atlantic was there a connection, I also wonder too.

And I further wonder why it was when I had Saracens for the last 18 years, I have always been attracted to and admired GT's, was it purely because of my attention to detail, or is there more to it than that.

Back