Tell me about Orange C-16R

Caramba Kid

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Been offered an Orange C-16R with the original F7 rigid fork.
I gather they were a development of the original Clockwork (lusted after when I was a youth)
Only Oranges I've ridden are my old VIT T2 and a quick blast many years ago on a mate's P7.

When were they introduced & what are they like to ride? (will be keeping it rigid)
Views of long time owners especially appreciated.

Cheers
Dave.

Hello Caramba. I'm not a long term owner but have had one. The C16 replaced the Clockwork for the 1995 model year and ran through 1996 before returning to the Clockwork name for 1997 (I think). It's called the C16 because it was the 16th variation of the Clockwork.

Orange changed the tubes used from Tange to their own branded steel for the C16 (although I've seen a few late 1994 Clockworks with the Orange tubes). Ride wise my 1995 C16 felt almost the same as my 1993 Clockwork, so very well in other words :cool: I think they ride a little 'racier' then something like a Marin, a little more twitchy. I like this though.

They seem to come in a little cheaper then other Clockworks for some reason so are probably the best value retro Orange out there so well worth getting at the right price. Saying that, for some reason I prefer to have actual Clockworks even though they're almost the same. Don't ask me why :roll:

Mine:

DSCN2308.jpg

Since photo taken I have changed bars (now USE with ends) and wheels, now Hope Ti hubbed lightweights :p

Marginally lighter than a clockwork, but only just. Rides brilliantly as a general purpose XC bike. Have used it on the Corrieyairack Challenge several times (see link below) with no damage :shock:

And yes the frames can be got quite cheaply. I much prefer this to my similar age P7.

Mr Panda":2hzgcgn3 said:

Hey Mr.Panda that is one nice looking machine :cool: .......and the answer to a question I asked myself the other day when I looked at a set of Pace forks I have thinking "what shall I do with these?"...oh dear....I see another project looming :roll: ....Did your frame come with that paint scheme or is it custom ?

Eddie King":1bwb77eh said:
Mr Panda":1bwb77eh said:
....Did your frame come with that paint scheme or is it custom ?

I'm sure I've seen another one this colour so I think its original, possibly only in small numbers however. It is actually rather nice with the balck graphics :D the black/white tape was added by me. Much better than the nickel versions in my opinion :) The RC35s are perfect for it, given the type of riding I predominantly do.

Mr Panda":3nur4e4z said:
I'm sure I've seen another one this colour so I think its original, possibly only in small numbers however. It is actually rather nice with the balck graphics.......The RC35s are perfect for it, given the type of riding I predominantly do.

Looks like I'm going to start looking around then ;) ....out of interest what kind of weight does it come in at with the Pace forks ? (for the kind of riding I do it wouldn't be relevant to my performance)...just curious

I've owned 3 so far and would only advise that you check the headset cups - the smaller frame I had didnt have any re-enforcing rings so the head tube flared allowing the headset cups to simply fall out.

legrandefromage":kqrqpb7w said:
I've owned 3 so far and would only advise that you check the headset cups - the smaller frame I had didnt have any re-enforcing rings so the head tube flared allowing the headset cups to simply fall out.

:shock: :shock: :shock: ........due note duly taken.....the sort of advice you only need to hear once ;) Good call Mr Fromage :cool:

Back