Talk to me about: Principia bikes

MynameisCasper

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I always thought that Principia's were ace but there seems to be no love for them here. Is there some specific reason or are they just unknown?

The frames were handmade in Denmark and they were really light and really stiff.
Principia.jpg

Lack of knowledge I tihnk. They were never brought in by a big importer andthere was little promotional noise. They are well-appreciated by road riders though.

Re:

Saw one of these at Mountain mayhem in the late 1990's, and as you say just don't see them now , i think ( to look at ) on a parr with Cannondale , but so few about , love to find one just to be different :cool: and in that colour .

Here's the one I am currently riding. It is a full on racer:
10382825_573050242838606_8614036861721042190_n.jpg

Excuse the crappy phone pic.

Specs:
Principia Mac SL
Chris King hubs and headset
Mavic 717 Ceramic rims
Sapim spokes
Pace fork
Thomson stem and seatpost
M950 F mech and brakes
X0 R mech and gripshifters
Syncros Forged crank

I rode mine today at a local track and it is a superduper quick bike :D I can recommend them without a doubt. The moment you throw your over it, it becomes clear that this is a racer. Nervous and quick and I have never felt anything quicker than this on tight bendy singletracks. I absolutely love it! And that for an Alu bike :D

I have an RS6Pro frame and fork in the attic. Lovely bike. Not suited to british roads. (Bit stiff and direct!) Even less suited to Swedish roads!

The company also died a death several times thanks to financial issues. The early frames (like mine) were really nicely put together and specced (Not just your boggo butted 7005 or 6061-T6), the later ones just looked like they were thrown together and didn't really offer anything over a dozen or so other brands of aluminium frames.

They never really recovered from the first (or maybe second) bankruptcy.

Re:

That's a real shame , like i said when i saw them at Mountain mayhem in the 90's they looked the part , i was thinking for off road use with some Pace forks up front ? :xmas-cool:

Re: Re:

royboy2cv":1jnx56wu said:
Thats a very nice looking bit of kit , many about where you are :?:

TBH I've only seen one in the flesh. That was in the shop window, so was really stoked to finally own one :)

royboy2cv":1jnx56wu said:
That's a real shame , like i said when i saw them at Mountain mayhem in the 90's they looked the part , i was thinking for off road use with some Pace forks up front ? :xmas-cool:

Thanks! :LOL:

mattr":ac7vbaik said:
I have an RS6Pro frame and fork in the attic. Lovely bike. Not suited to british roads. (Bit stiff and direct!) Even less suited to Swedish roads!

The company also died a death several times thanks to financial issues. The early frames (like mine) were really nicely put together and specced (Not just your boggo butted 7005 or 6061-T6), the later ones just looked like they were thrown together and didn't really offer anything over a dozen or so other brands of aluminium frames.

They never really recovered from the first (or maybe second) bankruptcy.

This one is really stiff as well. Probably one of the stiffest bikes I have ridden. Are the later models you mentioned the Mac LTD for example?

I think the high points of principias existence ended about 2003. But you'd really really have to go and do your own digging. There are several threads on here and on Weightweenies about Principias of varying vintage.

I've posted on a few of them.

Back