syncros crank-o-matic bolt removal

SouthBeach

Dirt Disciple
I have a new bike that came with the syncros crank-o-matic bolts. I would be appreciate it if I could get some tips with removing these from the spindle? If anyone had a scan of the instructions that would be super.

The crankomatics should be captured in the crank arms, with little rings that locate in the crank extractor threeads. Just undo the crank bolte with the 8mm allen key, and it will push on the rings pulling the crank off the rings (two little installation holes in them) should be loctited in place and not come undone. Thats the plan anyway. A little lube on the bolt head to help it slide on the ring wouldn't hurt. . .

Don't have a scan , but does that help. . ? :?:

Thanks for the advice. On the drive side arm the bolt came out and one of the rings, but the crank is still attached. On the non-drive side crank the bolt came out but again the crank but with none of the rings. What do you think is the best way for me to remove cranks now?

SouthBeach":35u7wfcy said:
Thanks for the advice. On the drive side arm the bolt came out and one of the rings, but the crank is still attached. On the non-drive side crank the bolt came out but again the crank but with none of the rings. What do you think is the best way for me to remove cranks now?

you mean the golden threaded ring with the two sink holes on the pic came out when you removed the bolt?

y2y_crank_o_matic.jpg

http://www.bikepro.com/products/cranks/ ... bolts.html

that ring should have staid in the crank arm and should have pulled it off the spindle

sounds like either the threads on the ring or in the crank arm are stripped. remove any washer that might still be in the crank arm hole and then use a normal crank puller. thread it in as deep as possible and pray that the threads are still fine and hold up when you pull the arm off.

better yet post a pic so we can better understand the situation.

carsten[/img]

Thank you both for the concern and time. I had the LBS remove the cranks and happy to report that everything is still in perfect order; spindle, cranks, and even the crank-o-matics. The crank puller was key, but I did not want to test my skills with such nice stuff so I left it to the pros.

Years ago I had these and in trying to remove a crank was a little ham fisted and ended up pulling the bolt through the Crank-o-matic (gold bit).

Result was a golden ring in the bin and a couple of ti bolts to hold on the cranks - think I still have the spare gold bit if anybodys interested

Anybody got a close up of the crank o'matics mounted on a bike with revolution cranks. I have a set on the Defiant build and the crank bolt seems to sit awfully far in side the crank leaving room for mud packing between the outer ring and the bolt itself. I have never used them before, just lusted after them in the glass case back in the day. :?

hairstream":56v41y1q said:
Anybody got a close up of the crank o'matics mounted on a bike with revolution cranks. I have a set on the Defiant build and the crank bolt seems to sit awfully far in side the crank leaving room for mud packing between the outer ring and the bolt itself. I have never used them before, just lusted after them in the glass case back in the day. :?

I have the same; Defiant; Cranl-o-matics; Revolutions; deep inside, that's the way is should be.
I do not have a close uo right now as i am a few days from home but that is normal

Back