Swallows Return?

Lollipops":3rg57klk said:
I haven't seen any swallows yet, but I know there's 4 housemartins looking at Ma's house again this year ... Summer is definitely on it's way!

P.s. On a bit of a tangent ... Does anyone know which bird of prey is meduim sized with W shaped wings, and a pale stripe across the underneath of its wings? Sorry I haven't got any more info, but I was driving at 60mph along the M4 at the time I saw it!! :LOL: :D

Not red kite, they are much bigger than a Buzzard or Raven and are very distinctive due to V shaped tail and wingspan (saw two on Sunday up near Lechlade, Oxfordshire).

Buzzards are flipping HUGE! Good to see them gliding on the thermals looking for a bite to eat.

Neil G":2gijb0ug said:
Lollipops":2gijb0ug said:
I haven't seen any swallows yet, but I know there's 4 housemartins looking at Ma's house again this year ... Summer is definitely on it's way!

P.s. On a bit of a tangent ... Does anyone know which bird of prey is meduim sized with W shaped wings, and a pale stripe across the underneath of its wings? Sorry I haven't got any more info, but I was driving at 60mph along the M4 at the time I saw it!! :LOL: :D

Not red kite, they are much bigger than a Buzzard or Raven and are very distinctive due to V shaped tail and wingspan (saw two on Sunday up near Lechlade, Oxfordshire).

Buzzard has the pale stripe but the wing is more rounded...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... index.aspx

Buzzards have a fanned tail and a broad dark stripe across the underside of the wing.

depend which bit you consider the stripe.... I say pale as there is black either side...

buzzard_300_tcm9-139736_v3.jpg
buzzard%20in%20flight.JPG

but I think it changes depending on the birds age...
buzzardinflight180_tcm9-91580.jpg

REKIBorter":31nidgxl said:
Buzzards are flipping HUGE! Good to see them gliding on the thermals looking for a bite to eat.

Small when you see them with Red Kites though. there's a Kite feeding station up in Wales which is worth a visit. Went there about a month ago and I reckon there must have been well over a 100 there which was some sight!

They are both classed as large raptors. The only ones that are bigger in the UK are the Osprey and Golden Eagle

REKIBorter":1qc9rz1n said:
They are both classed as large raptors. The only ones that are bigger in the UK are the Osprey and Golden Eagle
white tailed or sea eagle is the largest bird of prey within the British Isles, also known as the flying "barn door" due to its squarish size of wingspan..never seen one :cool: , some of the "Scottish contingent" might have sighted one ;)

Ernie ;)

They are hard to miss.

Thing is, very few people look up in the air.

Someone came up and asked me about the Ospreys and where could they see them, I pointed up in the air at the pair I was watching.

Red Kites are all over the place now, plenty to be seen over the Black Isle.

I am waiting to see the Sea Eagle swooping on a dolphin calf.

Spent two hours today tracking otters along the estuary.

This is a great time of year.

Back