Suntour XC Pro vs. XC Comp-crankset differences?

shogun700

Retro Guru
Is there a difference between the XC Pro and Comp cranksets? I polished one awhile back and removed the decals, now I can't remember what I have. :oops: Here's a shot of the back before I gave them a final polish.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• xcwhat.jpg
    xcwhat.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,493
Pretty sure those are XC Pros, but to answer your original question, the big difference (I think) was really just the chain rings. Both were cold forged.

Great cranks--they seem very similar to M900.

sancho":3sh6minh said:
Great cranks--they seem very similar to M900.

Yes, they are very good quality.
I had M900 and XC Pro cranks at the same time.
I sold the Shimanos for good money, but still have the Suntours.

There isn't as much much retro-hype about Suntour compared to the constant forum references to M900 - But, having owned both, I'd prefer a bike with full XC-Pro on it.

These are the original one before they went MD you can tell by the distance of the arms to the crank arm, so the profiling isn't a low as the M900.

EDIT in fact these are manufactured end of 1989 from the date code stamped on them.

Would have come with black rings in 1990 model year, have cost £100 RRP XC-Comp £15 less than that.

I think they used a 121.5mm bottom bracket though with more length on the drive side than none drive.
(think 127mm if a symmetric bottom bracket is used)

Agreed, they are nice cranks, they were not perfect to start with, but polished up very well-the clearcoat was seriously tough! It took a bit of work to remove. More great info, thanks everyone.

FluffyChicken":2eqibxz9 said:
EDIT in fact these are manufactured end of 1989 from the date code stamped on them.

So F is 1989, and L is December, now I understand. :cool:

Attachments

• zoomxcp.jpg
    zoomxcp.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,373
fairly sure the XC Pros are drop-forged, where as the XC Comps were the usual forging (castings) or something like that – pretty sure there was a difference in the way they were constructed that favoured the Pros anyway.

Pros are beautifully finished too

Comps in MD format (guess at impression forged by SR Suntour) are heavier by quite a bit iirc than Pro's in MD format (cold forged by Sugino).
Rings are the same but Pros are hard anodised (mid+top)

Not sure on the 1990 one's it just say Hi-duty forged ?
Would need to be made by Sugino to be cold forged iirc as Suntour didn't have the capabilities hence the above in the MD format.

Back