Suntour XC Pro - tell me more

I'll concur on the SS-7s, they are super nice. And yes, I'll also concur that they are completely different than the XC Pros (except the part about being super nice).

yo-Nate-y":36cdbpx3 said:
I also run 8 speed XC Pro thumbshifters with an XTR mech and cassette and it works perfectly. They are more refined/better finished than the workhorse-style Shimano XTs.

The best thing is the front shifter though---it does a really cool ratcheting that the Shimano doesn't that I really like. Def the highlight for me.

Do the seven speed XC Pro shifters have a ghost click? I run seven speed XT thumbies with, again, an XTR mech and cassette on another bike, but if you are going to search them out, I'd say the 8 speed Suntours are a better bet. They have a little mark that says "7/8" with a orange dot over the "8."

No ghost click on the 7 speed versions, that said they would probably work fine with 8 speed if set to friction..? I too like the ratcheting effect by the way :)

Are my XC-Pros in friction mode working right?

I have some XC-Pro 7-spd thumbies from a '92 Bridgestone MB-1 that I set up last night with a 9-speed shimano cassette to see if they could pull enough cable in friction mode.

When I set the shifter to friction mode, I still get some definitive clicks, almost like it's in index mode (although it is different than index mode for sure). I get about 7 or 8 clicks in friction mode.

Does that sound right? The front shifter has many, many little clicks that can be felt/heard when moving the front mech outwards, but no clicks when moving it inwards. Feels like a real "friction" mode to me.

I also found that the friction mode and using the actual clicks as stops, the 7-spd shifter actually matches up with most of the cogs on my 9-spd Shimano cassette, but the last two (largest) require pushing the lever nearly perpendicular to my handlebars. In contrast, in index mode, I barely match up with any of the cogs.

I've also heard that you can use these Suntour mounts to mount a Shimano 9-spd barcon shifter, much like the Paul Components thumbies. I took one apart, but didn't see how it would work. Has anyone done this? Do I need to get some other parts to make it work?

Thanks!

a year later...

yep I was confusing xc pro levers with the ritchey logics which ARE like ss7s

but yes pure wrong

Shifters are the nuts, I had a set BITD and sold them :( .

XC Pro was available as a 24 speed group in 1993 and I am sure they show thumbies as part of that group so they should have an official 8th click, they are not marked like Shimano though.

Carl.

Just remember that there was an 7 and later an 8 speed version of their drivetrain. The 7 is still quite elegant and indestructable but is compatible with nothing else ( hubs, indexing, the works ). The 8 speed IS compatible with shimano and I've been after a pair of their thumbies for ages.

Agency_Scum":2vhdao19 said:
Just remember that there was an 7 and later an 8 speed version of their drivetrain. The 7 is still quite elegant and indestructable but is compatible with nothing else ( hubs, indexing, the works ).

The very reason why I swapped to XT thumbies as I was trying to use with Shimano cassette BITD.
Quality kit though and very nice action too, I would go along with the earlier assessment that they are better than XT.

Carl.

Back