Suntour - shimano 7 sp cassette fitting

Bikes a 1990 GT Karakoram with suntour hubs and 7 sp cassette. Cassette has been removed from duff hub.
Need new wheel, most 2nd hand ones are shimano Dx / Lx hubbed.
Cassette is hardly worn and wanted to pop on a shimano hub......seems maybe not.

azaro":2282cczd said:
I've got a Suntour 7 speed on a Shimano XT freehub
If you have then it's not a 'true' Suntour one. Probably a modern 'SR Suntour' you have.

The answer is no you cannot for the retro era.
I've not seen their Plug'n'Play of the 95ish+ era so cannot answer if they do or do not.
I forget what the plug'n'play was on about in the catalogues, but it was something shimano compatible.

Either get another hub (or freehub body depending what's gone. OR post a picture of the cassette and we can telly you which of the many versions it is.
Easier to just get shimano hub and a shimano cassette unless your lucky with timing and what pops up for sale.
You may/may not need some new shifters depending on what they are.

What he said! Retro suntour 7 speed cassettes will not fit shimano hubs as the splines are different. However some newer suntour bits will. Sounds lke your gt probably has retro suntour bits with their non- shinano compatible splines. Assuming the gear levers and derailleurs on your gt are suntour then your best bet would be try and repair the hub or replace with a retro suntour one in good condition. Decent photo of the bike taken from the side might help with further advice.
You may get away with a shimano hub and cassette with suntour gears, but as the spacing across suntour cassettes was different to shimano, then suntour shifters and derailleurs work less well with shimano cassettes.

bunnerscj":1t4r3r65 said:
Hi,
quick question - will a 7sp suntour cassette fit on a 7sp shimano freehub ?

Thanks

:D

I had the opposite problem, I have suntour hubs and want to put Shimano cassettes on. 2 wheels! I have decided to buy some Shimano hubs and embark on my 1st wheel builds. So I will have 2 suntour xc and xc pro hubs for sale soon, 1 with cassette and bothe with free hubs.

I searched high and low but no one does any adapters

Back