Sunn Exact frame

W W Biffta

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
it is a 1999 model . should be the same as Al bike but for V only .

it is an excellent frame , well worth the £100 .

what is a bit strange is that the bikes also bears an urge sticker on the seat tube - very good frame too actually ( sturdier anyway) but in FUJI Stout light

so to make sure, you need to check that sunn is engraved on the bottom bracket on both sides of the seat tube and its big so you cant miss it.
;)
That's the proof it is a columbus frame indeed.

It looks like the genuine article to me. I thought the urge label was one they applied to lots of models in 99, so it wouldn't put me off thinking it was an Exact Columbus, but others may well know better than me.

The thing that would put me off though is that it isn't a size 17.5 as stated, it's a large, equivalent to a size 20 (50cm c-t seat tube).

But if it's your size, it's a very good frame.

Anthony":122rb3dl said:
It looks like the genuine article to me. I thought the urge label was one they applied to lots of models in 99, so it wouldn't put me off thinking it was an Exact Columbus, but others may well know better than me.

The thing that would put me off though is that it isn't a size 17.5 as stated, it's a large, equivalent to a size 20 (50cm c-t seat tube).

Anthony":122rb3dl said:

No its the "UN" "family name" and sticker that was applied to all the white and dark blue + red dots frames ( you actually see it behind Urge in bigger letters)
Urge is the model that came after and replaced the revolt in Fuji SL in the range but was in same Fuji Sl very nice tubing so this frame bears a contradictory seat tube sticker. If it is in Fuji Sl it is still a very nice frame even a bit less fragile than the columbus and only a touch heavier.

It is true that it bears the columbus logo and correct exact top tube sticker

so sunn engraving on the bottom bracket is the only true manner to differentiate between the twos ;) (and very difficult to see from these pictures)
about the size quite often in the UK the 17 or 18 relates to a C/C measure as in France it is more a C/T one ;)

I have asked the seller to confirm about the engraving ;)

well the seller has very openly replied saying there is no engraving

having had two exact columbus 1999 ( and still one at home) it looks more like a incorrectly stickered urge.
I have never heard of non engravec columbus 99 sunn frame :?

but I am not an encyclopedia!

If it is a Fuji it is a very nice frame nonetheless ! and nearly as rare
;)

I am currently building up an unridden 1999 Urge frame (pictures soon). The frame on ebay is an Urge with a couple of Exact stickers. You can see part of the name Urge in the front of the seat tube. The Sunn sticker on the chainstay and rear seat post are extras. This is a v.nice lightweight frame. It will fit a front fork up to abot 80mm travel. 100mm wil trow geometry out but not much. If you can find an Obsys fork it is what they had. ( who needs more than 55mm travel?) £100 looks like a bargin. Good luck.

skinnytubes":32fclkf4 said:
I am currently building up an unridden 1999 Urge frame (pictures soon). The frame on ebay is an Urge with a couple of Exact stickers. You can see part of the name Urge in the front of the seat tube. The Sunn sticker on the chainstay and rear seat post are extras. This is a v.nice lightweight frame. It will fit a front fork up to abot 80mm travel. 100mm wil trow geometry out but not much. If you can find an Obsys fork it is what they had. ( who needs more than 55mm travel?) £100 looks like a bargin. Good luck.

80 mm seems a bit too much for this type of frame.
I have tried my exact with a sid team at 80mm and frankly, feels rather strange ! ;) so back to an obsys ( I call that a man's fork or a reducer of discomfort but not truly a suspended fork ;) )
I think a fork at 65mm is probably the best choice

bduc61":2llohih5 said:
skinnytubes":2llohih5 said:

80 mm seems a bit too much for this type of frame.
I have tried my exact with a sid team at 80mm and frankly, feels rather strange ! ;) so back to an obsys ( I call that a man's fork or a reducer of discomfort but not truly a suspended fork ;) )
I think a fork at 65mm is probably the best choice

yes i agree , i have a 80mm fork on mine , and it is far from perfect .
but it is not terrible either .

Back