STX Shimanos ginger step kid?

My dynes tech has been built up entirely with Stx as that's what the bike came from the factory with, served me well bitd and still going strong now!

3e45a138.jpg

dda86587.jpg

ac4fd6f6.jpg

2159efa2.jpg

poweredbypies":1wi3lja1 said:
Well Im going to buck the trend and try to kit my bike out in stx rc stuff, just cos im oddball like that. Ideally would like the 4 stud pattern cranks and a f mech. Not having the brakes as something fell into my hands that deals with the stoping part its just the going parts I need now :LOL:

Me too. I have this Merlin (UK) twisted downtube frame that I'm going to lavish in STX RC SE kit, because the bronzey colour will match the goldey colour frame.

Will it win BOTM, nope. Would I go faster on it with XT kit, nope. It just doesn't need lightweight or bling kit, the STX stuff works just fine in this case.

Oh, and the colour matches. (Stem and post will probably have to go, silver maybe needed. And gumwall tyres)

1997_Merlin_TDB%20(800x534).jpg

Good on you, read somewhere that the stx rc (mc41) shifters are mainly xt gubbins inside tho I maybe wrong or rather they maybe wrong.

poweredbypies":39o96qz5 said:
What are the weight differences between stx rc and say xt? Are we talking about a few grams?

STX RC Rear Mech (RD-MC3:cool:: 291g
STX RC Left Shifter (SL-MC41): 148g
STX RC Right Shifter (SL-MC41): 155g

That's all I've got sitting in my box.

I had some STX RC and it was completely CRAP. Then again all my other bikes are somewhere between mostly and completely XTR/Dura Ace....

I'd try and shift into a easier gear in the back, and half the time the lever wouldn't engage and actually shift. Same with going into bigger rings in the front.... I'd move the lever but it wouldn't move the cable.

p.s. the only place it probably matters is on the shifters... everything else seemed.... well.... I couldn't tell the shifters were too crappy. The weight wasn't an issue (except for with the original cassette... that thing weighed a TON but I'm not sure it was stx)

bwhsh8r":2urxvdx6 said:
I had some STX RC and it was completely CRAP. Then again all my other bikes are somewhere between mostly and completely XTR/Dura Ace....

I'd try and shift into a easier gear in the back, and half the time the lever wouldn't engage and actually shift. Same with going into bigger rings in the front.... I'd move the lever but it wouldn't move the cable.

p.s. the only place it probably matters is on the shifters... everything else seemed.... well.... I couldn't tell the shifters were too crappy.
Then it must have either been faulty, poorly maintained, or setup wrongly - or perhaps all three - kudos, if that's the case, you'd get a special badge.

If nothing else, STX / STX-RC most definitely worked. May not have been the lightest, may not have been the prettiest, but it did actually work, when it was servicable, and adjusted correctly.

Neil":6rbnm99p said:
Then it must have either been faulty, poorly maintained, or setup wrongly - or perhaps all three - kudos, if that's the case, you'd get a special badge.

If nothing else, STX / STX-RC most definitely worked. May not have been the lightest, may not have been the prettiest, but it did actually work, when it was servicable, and adjusted correctly.

Lol yah I mean.... probably right on that one, I never bothered to even look at it. I sold the bike within a dozen rides of buying it so it never really bothered me//I never really bothered to sort it :twisted: I instead traded the Klein Mantra it was on for a Litespeed within two weeks of purchasing the first. I know the wheelset weighed more than a boat anchor with the paralax hubs and some EXTREMELY heavy rear cassette. I mean it felt like a solid block of steel heavy.

I think the last person who owned the mantra may have been smoking crack as well.... it was found in a house my friend put up for sale, abandoned by the original owner. Do I still get a badge if It wasn't me who set it up wrong didn't take care of it or make it faulty?

P.s. The paralax hubs flange in the front was missing in a spot large enough for 6 spokes on one side.... and wasn't much better on the other, so I'm sure it wasn't taken care of that well.

Back