STX RC 7 to 8 speed possible?

Tired Joseph

Dirt Disciple
Stumbled upon this old thread on STX / STX RC groupsets (including some fantastic info from drystonepaul

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

and have a question for those in the know:

I've got a 1995 STX RC rear hub with a 7 speed cassette (MC33 based on the thread above), but have most of the bits needed to go 8 speed - is it possible to fit an 8 spd freehub body to this hub, and thus negate the need for a new rear hub/wheel?

If yes does anyone know an appropriate model number etc for the right bit?

Grateful for any advice: I'd love to keep the hub/wheel as it's one I built from scratch as a 16 year old and has miraculously shrugged-off 16 years of inept riding and wheelies with barely any need for a spoke key!

Joe

yes it can be swapped over with a 8 speed freewheel ;) any shimano one will fit but you might have to re-dish the wheel.

i might have an old stx-rc 8speed hub in the cave , pm me if your intrested as i have a bad memory :oops:

Cheers, that's great news! :D

you might have to re-dish the wheel.

I can cope with that, but not sure I fully understand...

I assume the 8 speed freehub body is physically longer than the 7 spd (in order that it can accept the extra sprocket), does this mean something has to come off the other side of the hub in order that the thing isn't too wide to fit back in the drop-outs?

That would explain the need for re-dishing I think, but grateful if you could confirm / correct as appropriate! Hubs aren't my strong point, so apologies if I'm asking dumb questions.

Joe

Remove the axle spacer from the non drive side and install it on the freehub side and then redish the wheel. You may have to purchase different thickness axle spacers to get it perfect(135mm locknut to locknut). While you have the axle out you can repack the bearings.
Regards

Back