Sturmey Archer. New Question Page 2.

Re: Sturmey Archer Questions.

Iwasgoodonce":2c1q75ca said:
It has chrome calipers fitted, front and back complete with John Bull brake blocks.
Just had a closer look at your picture on the other thread.

The rear brake is not what was on there originally. It would have come with a S3B hub with a tiny (and pathetically useless) drum brake on there. They did not work from new, so whatever they have stuck on the rear triangle will be an improvement over the original! :)

Interesting that. There aren't individual cable guides on the frame. They wouldn't be necessary due to the full length outers. The guides are extra wide to allow all three cables to fit side by side.

I have read that S A often didn't put oil in the drum brake in the factory in case of leaking. Instead they left it to the shops who often didn't bother! This made a bad brake even worse!

Iwasgoodonce":26sq63o6 said:
Interesting that. There aren't individual cable guides on the frame. They wouldn't be necessary due to the full length outers. The guides are extra wide to allow all three cables to fit side by side.
That's right - quite a nifty design.

Iwasgoodonce":26sq63o6 said:
I have read that S A often didn't put oil in the drum brake in the factory in case of leaking. Instead they left it to the shops who often didn't bother! This made a bad brake even worse!
The Sturmey drum then (as now) does not want to be oiled - although if you did you would probably not make the S3B any worse than it was.

One of my old (now sold) Mk3's, you can see how the drum brake was held.

DSC00187.JPG

That looks in much better condition than mine! I say "mine" but my mum and dad visited us last weekend and she sort of decided the bike would make a fine birthday present for her! To be fair I don't think it would be big/strong enough for me so an ideal solution!

Seeing your bike there with its stand. Where did the stand attach to the frame? There is a piece of metal welded to the rear triangle that I assumed would have once held the stand whereas yours looks to be on the main frame? Is that an after market stand?

Iwasgoodonce":1q2aaeuj said:
That looks in much better condition than mine! I say "mine" but my mum and dad visited us last weekend and she sort of decided the bike would make a fine birthday present for her! To be fair I don't think it would be big/strong enough for me so an ideal solution!
That was (still is) in near perfect original condition. Not bad for a bike that is about 40 years old! And that is another thing, they are pretty robust but can have age related issues, the front suspension bushes can wear which will play havoc with the steering as well as make it feel as if the races are not adjusted properly, the rear suspension 'ball' is unavailable so don't break it! The bottom bracket is that odd Raleigh 26tpi thread horror so don't think you can chuck a sealed cartridge in there, they don't exist (well they do but Phil Wood costs a bomb!) but there are a number of bodges that might work.

But they can make the basis of fantastic specials (not mine, sadly)

3975120680_6cf496e380_b.jpg

Iwasgoodonce":1q2aaeuj said:
Seeing your bike there with its stand. Where did the stand attach to the frame? There is a piece of metal welded to the rear triangle that I assumed would have once held the stand whereas yours looks to be on the main frame? Is that an after market stand?
Should be on bottom bracket. It is exactly the same as the one on the Chopper (and probably many more bikes of the 70's). Good luck finding the bits. ;)

Re:

Hello again. I thought rather than start a new thread I would add to this one.

The Moulton is finished and my Mum really likes it. Problem is it is a little over geared. Totnes is in a hilly part of Devon! I don't want to replace the chainset (one piece) so I am stuck with finding a larger sprocket.

There seem to be two designs. One is flat and the other is dished. The dished type seem to be available in larger sizes than the flats. There is a flat 13 tooth jobbie on it at the moment.

Does it matter if I fit a dished type? Will it fit? Is the dishing just coping with the larger diameter sprocket?

Thanks as ever.

Back