Stuck UN72 Bottom Bracket

Re: Re:

coomber":1rueb2lq said:
Tack weld nut onto bb. Worked a treat.

Seatpost should be easy enough.

Re bottom bracket..

Wd40 and gt85 wont do anything to loosen the bond. Coke will but needs a really long Time to effect it. You need proper penetrating oil applied 2-3 time a day down seattube and from outside frame.

Heat works wonders too on stuck bb but keep moving the blow touch else paint will be effected. And no good on alu frames..

Thanks - but as stated above, I'm trying very hard NOT to damage the BB. One side is out - I'm certain from experience that the drive-side will come out...

02gf74":1bnp3xc7 said:
Can yo not use the bolt for the crank and large washer to hold the tool in pkace, then 1/2 in or bettwr 3/4 in breaker bar with socket?

Ps if you are local i have 3/4 socket set yet to be used in anger and air windy tool.... no good if the teetb are gone on the bb.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm not quite following what you are suggesting though?

Do you mean the 1/2" socket with breaker bar, on the crank bolt in some fashion? I don't see how that works...

Or do you mean using one of these removal tools which also incorporates a 1/2" drive socket - so that I could use a breaker bar with it? Ifso - I get this, and will order one. Not seen one of these removal tools before (just using the original Shimano one), and I do have a breaker bar here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBnYoYVTnlo

Re:

If its a in 90/91
Then just hit the spindle till it comes out the other side.
This will ease the pressure on the cup.

Yes they'll be aluminium.

At the point you can cut the cup and just get another one.

Re:

He means use a washer and then bolt the tool in place with the crank bolt / axle. The spacer is so the bolt doesn't just go through the tool hole.
I tend to use a socket set around my Shimano tool.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1t9wfzdw said:
I tend to use a socket set around my Shimano tool.

How? My Shimano tool is 32mm in diameter - a perfect fit for a standard 1" headset spanner, which is why they were designed this way....

I can now see the merit in using the newer style ones that have a 1" drive socket in the back of them, so that you can insert a breaker bar for massive added leverage. I've got one on order.

Re:

32mm socket, sits right in.

I'd never use a headset spaner with it. A proper spanner, ring spanner or Hugh adjustable yes, but not thin flimsy headset spaners, they can twist to easily.

Re: Success

Cool - fixed cup now removed.

One of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380955428966? ... 1497.l2649

.... combined with my 1/2" drive breaker bar got it moving in the end. So much easier than heating it up and welding crap to it! When it was removed, the threads of the cup were completely bone dry - not a sausage of anything on it... Who'd put a bottom bracket in and not grease the threads? :facepalm:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The best way to get a stuck BB out, that I use all the time, is an impact driver! I borrowed an impact driver from work, put in the Park Tool BB tool set it in and work away. It will get any stuck BB out without you getting a hernia or the tool slipping because you press against it. Works like a charm every time. The only downside is: it so f***ing loud! I scared the crap out of my wife when I used it yesterday (and the other people in our apartment building hate me too probably...) If you don't mind making an infernal racket, just invest in a decent battery powered impact driver.

Latest posts

Back