Steerer extensions.

So you have an aheadset fitted, you've got the'extender' fitted but can't see a way of tensioning the assembly once you've got it all together.

Sounds to me like you've got a quill to ahead adapter and not a steerer tube extender, as if it was an extender, it would have a built in ore-tensioner method like the one pictured above.

As @CassidyAce says I can't quite work this out?
Are you trying to use a quill extender as a threadless steerer extender?
Doesn't seem like a great idea if so. If you put a star nut in how will you re tighten it if it comes loose?

Wrap it up with string and tie it tight! A good knot is needed. Ask a boy scout (if they still learn about knots), or a farmer. But they're better at telling weather the whether is going to rain...
or not...

The problem is as I and others have mentioned above, they are not the same thing. The reason you probably had issues getting it in is because an ahead and a threaded steer tend not to be the same internal diameter. Ahead steerers are designed with thicker walls....thats why you had to sand/ hammer the quill adaper in....

Sadly a quill adapter wont have a place for a star nut as there is no need to compress the headset to set it.

The good news is the correct adapter should still fit.....i would drive the current adapter out through the bottom of the forks and start again with the correct adapter.....else getting the bearings set right is going to be a pita.!

Quill adaptor fitted to Aheadset.

G-clamp from fork crown to stem for tension, broke a plastic one trying, not enough tension.

I bought one of those BBB jobs off ebay but the guy sent me a 1", not 1 1/8", may have to rip out what I got and fit one of them, this build is getting expensive, I'm already £20 over sale price on spending so far!

Yes.. there's your issue. The bbb ones do 2 different types that are different.

1. for adding a ahead stem to a threaded fork.
2. Adding length to an ahead fork.

Sounds like you have 1,, but need 2.

This type for ahead, has a star nut as part of the quill bolt assembly inside....

View attachment 744610
Sorry for the semi-hijack but I've been looking at these and think this may be relevant...

Do these BBB quill to ahead adapters have a minimum and maximum insertion?

E.g. does it have to go in as far as the spacers shown, or is the minimum less? And / or can it go in further than the spacers shown if you remove one or more?

If its for quill to ahead, then yes. There's a minimum insertion point on the "stem", but you can go in as far as you like...

Got it mk2! (got a refund on the crap g-clamp).

Bash the tube out, cut the wedge off and star nut it with a longer bolt. Sorted.

He says after the pipe comes out.

YST used to make a headset that would allow you to use a quill stem on a non-threaded steerer. It wasn’t very rugged and required careful adjustment so as not to strip the aluminum threads on the upper clamp assy.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back