Stage one 1996 Orange P7 build - some advice please

Simbob7

Dirt Disciple
This is the first stage of this 96 build, thanks to 17" frame from Northern Dave and Pace fork from Keitht. Hope I haven't let them down :). Most of the rest from early 90s Giant build inc Art stem and bars, 7 speed STC levers and brakes, Fir on XT hubs from Merlin Cycles, FSA cranks and Shimano pedals from my early 80s Specialized Streetstomper. Waiting for shim to add USE seatpost.

I'd appreciate advice on three things (but you may offer more!)...

1. I'd like to shorten the 110/6 deg stem and increase the bars height as I am stretching a little and would like a more upright position (because my eye line is now through the top of my glasses frame). Is there something of the era around 80mm with a 20-25 degree rise to fit Ahead, or some other creative solution?

2. I'd like to upgrade the levers, brakes and mechs to period gear. Thinking of XT to match hubs - good choice and can someone tell me the right M codes? I need a top pull bottom swing I think to avoid oval section at bottom of the seat tube.

3. Pedals are getting worn and slippy in the wet - what would be a good replacement (no clips).

Attachments

• 1996 Orange P7 comp.JPG
    1996 Orange P7 comp.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,476
  • P7 fork and stem.JPG
    P7 fork and stem.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,476
An xlite fly would look nice with the forks .

DMR pedals are the best for those adverse to the disco slippers but would look a tad too modern , but you have to have a keen eye to spot someones pedals when the bike is being ridden :LOL:

Other than those look for anything generic in the classic DX style ( which you already have ) It's a pedal people can't argue as it's such an old pedal shimano crushed their mold for them in the 80s .

The bike looks very good to me. It's difficult to be certain without a perfect side-on picture, but the stem looks like a 15 degree already and you don't really need much more rise than that. A slightly shorter stem would help a bit, but it looks as though you have scope to turn the bars to maximise the sweep and you should find that will have a similar effect to a shorter stem. Even though the bars would be a fraction lower, shortening the position nevertheless gives a more upright posture. And once you have the in-line post, you may find that is enough and the stem you've got could be ok.

ive have a silver art stem that would do the job. you could have it for postage, as ive sold it once and now some how got it back again....spookey.

P7 build

Thanks for all the advice which is much appreciated. I may be measuring the stem angle incorrectly - I did it perpendicular to the axis of the stem (as though it was sat horizontal) and got about 6-7 degrees. Obviously more when fitted.

The X-lite Fly stem does look cool, if I can find one.. although I am also checking out hoegaardenadds1's neat offer.

Another possibility is getting a longer 1" steerer (currently 175mm overall, 145mm above crown) and puting some spacers between the headset and the stem. Could I also but them between the crown and the headset?!

And I now know more about Shimano M codes than you can shake a stick at.. as well as seeing In am doind slightly better with what I have STC-RC not just STC :)

Back