SRAM and Shimano. Mix and match

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Are there any real no-no combinations when it comes to shifters/chain/cassette and mechs ?

i.e. could I use a 9 speed X9 rear mech with M740 shifters on a M737 cassette?
or
An An X9 rear mech, 9 speed SRAM cassette and Shimano shifters ?

And when it comes to SRAM shifters, what's all this 1:1 ratio stuff about ?

Confused of Kent :?

Robert

i think the only "can't do" is using the 1:1 with 2:1 shifting equipment.

the 1:1 and 2:1 is about how much cable is pulled when you do a shift, so that is why they are incompatible. and that's only in regards to the rear drivetrain. front is universal.

RockiMtn":3m5lfzmt said:
i think the only "can't do" is using the 1:1 with 2:1 shifting equipment.

the 1:1 and 2:1 is about how much cable is pulled when you do a shift, so that is why they are incompatible. and that's only in regards to the rear drivetrain. front is universal.

front isnt that universal i tryed fitting an Sram x7 front with a deore rapidfire shifter and it didnt work.

wasnt even close.

I've sort of reckoned that the "intelligence" was in the shifter, and the mech just did what it was told.

My M739 shifter is getting tired and needs a replacement. I could change it for anotehr spare M739, but i'd rather leave that for my 8 speed bike. So,considering a 9 speed type XT or X9 rear mech, hence teh question......

Shimano rear mechs compatible with:
All Shimano shifters (depending on number of gears of course)
SRAM Attack twist or trigger shifters (only 9-speed)

SRAM rear mechs compatible with:
SRAM X.0, X.9, X.7, X.5, X.4 and X.3 twist or triggers.

There may be older versions available, but this is how the current stuff works anyway.

I personally like the Attack or X.9/X.7 triggers depending on which rear mech you use!

Ulrich

The intelligence is in the shifter (if you call pulling a specific length of cable intelligence) - so the shifter pulls different amounts for 7,8 and 9s.

Mechs also have different leverage - they mode different amounts for 1mm of cable pull. Shimano is different to Campag and SRAM.

But essentially Shimano have done a good job and for MTB stuff all Shimano rear mechs are interchangeable. Older mechs may not have enough throw for the wider cassettes of 8 or 9s systems however.

re:

if price is an issue go for sram attacks together with shimano, insteed of cheaper shiimano units. I'm using lx shifters right now and they work really good at home but are worthless in the woods, compared to xt/xtr or Attacks. The Sram system is a bit more chunkier or harsher to shift but feels really good! have only tried x7 and x0 both works great. same on the roadstuff

hamster":gb05xc8o said:
Hmm, beware on the front. Shimano road and MTB doesn't mix on the front for example.
It can work. I had the Klein Palomino which was based on the Maverick monolink and ran a road front mech. Set it up with some slack before it moves from the granny ring and it works, No idea why :LOL:

Need to change my rear M739 fro something more modern (and less bashed)
It was either goingto be XT M770 or a SRAM X9 mech. The shifters are M770 and the cassette is either SRAM or SHimano 9spd.

Will this combo work ?

Back