Squeak from back brake

rk92

Dirt Disciple
Hi there, sorry for what might be a really silly question, but Im new to all of this

Ive got an old Emmelle road bike which ive been having a bit of trouble with the brakes

The rear brake squeaks so loud when I tap it, buts normally fine if I really grab hold of it. Ive tried oiling it but within a day or two its noisy again

I brought leather faced pads and fitted them sometime over the summer. The bike doesnt get used huge amounts, I just use it to go to work/town/uni etc, already most of the new brake pads have worn away- is this usual?

I brought the leather pads as I was told that old steel wheels need leather pads to stop in the wet, well im still finding wet weather riding pretty hairy as the brakes take a god couple of metres to kick in!

What is my solution to all of this? Is it worth investing in some better quaility brake calipers than the budget things that came on the bike?

Regards, Rich

The blocks need 'toeing' in a little to stop them vibrating. If the brakes are low end, they probably have no way to adjust them. The only option will be to bend the caliper slightly to the end of the block nearest the seat tube hits the rim first. Put a screwdriver into the slot which the block is fitted to which is used to adjust the vertical block position and twist to bend!!

And as for the braking in the wet: steel wheels give awful braking. You have done the best you can with leather pads but they will never be reassuring. It's best to look around for some replacements with aluminium rims.

rk92":37kxrb0k said:
Ive tried oiling it
sorry fella, I know youre new etc, but that made me laugh. Did you ever manage to stop, or end up faceplanting the wall?

Not havin a go, just enjoying the wording :D

pigman":1tgxj35w said:
rk92":1tgxj35w said:
Ive tried oiling it
sorry fella, I know youre new etc, but that made me laugh. Did you ever manage to stop, or end up faceplanting the wall?

Not havin a go, just enjoying the wording :D
Don't knock it, we had a guy who rode with us who did just that. On his new disc brakes.

Apparently chain lube stops your discs wailing..........

we have had a kids bike in the shop with oil all over the rims an pads there nan tryed to stop them sqweeking lol, tow is what you need an clean the rims to an pads, if that fails the rubber could be no good, stick a new set of pads on an that somtimes works, it will have adjustment, theres an allen key hole in the clamp that holds the pad and on the back of the brake there will be a 10mm nut , loosen the nut an use the allen key to adjust the angle of the pad, hold the allen key still an tighten the nut back up, easy to do just make sure the pads sit nice to the rim an that there not going to touch the tyre

Back