Spokes - looking for a supplier

Re:

Currently awaiting delivery of 75 ACI spokes from Cyclebasket for a 90's retromod build using Athena hubs and shiny silver Archetypes (my fave rim).

I've never built with ACI spokes, but have had wheelsets that were built with them and never had an issue.

Until now, all of the wheels I have built have been with DT Competition or Sapim Race and like bartsince1975 find no difference in quality of the spokes themselves. I also agree wholeheartedly in preferring Sapim polyax nipples. The rounded head definitely makes a difference in how the nipple seats in the rim.

Last couple of times I've bought Sapim spokes it has been from Paul Hewitt cycles as they had all the sizes I needed in stock (was doing several very different builds)

Re:

Update on ACI spokes from Cyclebasket:

Spokes arrived by courier next day. Well wrapped and clearly marked for size. Faultless service from Cyclebasket.

As for the spokes?

Other than the more obvious butting (and to be fair they are 2mm down to 1.7mm rather than 1.8mm) there's no discernable difference when building with these vs say DT Competition or Sapim Race. With greased spoke seats I didn't notice any wind-up during final tensioning even though they are thinner in the middle section.

At 21p per spoke they are, from a build perspective at least, an absolute bargain. Haven't ridden the wheels yet, but I don't expect I'll notice much difference then either.

Back