Sony Walkman! (other brands are available)

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Dug out my old walkman last night.

7508410316_1595173d35.jpg

This was one of my prize possessions a few years ago (and cost a few quid!) and has been literally round the world. Had planned on giving it to my son for some tapes he had, however the thought of it being destroyed by an over active 3 year old was too much. Back to storage.

Sure some on here must collect / own similar. Recall the range back in the day was awesome. Anyone have one of the sony bhudokan / boodo khans as name checked by Massive Attack. Check this link for some retro walkman p*rn > http://www.stereo2go.com/displayForumTo ... 4111959492 .

Now to try and find the five tapes I didn't bin.

ive got the same one somwhere, loved it because it only used 1 AA. my dad had one of the original when they were first released and it still works fine today. i still call mp3 players walkmans whatever make thay are

I've got 2 Aiwa portable cassette players - both metal bodied, with logic control, and a Panasonic one, somewhere. Will try and take pics.

The Aiwa ones used the same kind of remote (dedicated buttons) but the Panasonic one had an ingenious thing where the remote used a sequence of beeps for the function - so play might be one beep, FF 2 - you get the idea.

I've also got 3 or 4 minidisc portables somewhere - I kept on with them well into the mp3 age, took me a while to give them up in favour of mp3 players.

I used to have a Walkman Pro, cost me bloody fortune but I used it a lot for work stuff. Beautifully made bit of kit.

Is till have an old Panasonic "Personal Stereo" that I found on the back seat of a bus, that thing did me proud for years...until cassettes died a death.

I've still got hundereds of bloody cassettes, albums, singles, mix tapes, will have to dig out the Panasonic and have a listen :D

I guess nowadays you can get an ipod shuffle the size of a paracetamol tablet that can hold 100 times what you could get on a good old C90 :roll:

My first portable tape players took four AA batteries that lasted a maximum of six hours they were a horrendous cost to run, I had a beach proof Aiwa and a National, both bought in the middle east were prices were somewhat cheaper.

But the walkmans were beautiful machines, I borrowed one once it was only marginally larger than an audio cassette itself. The only walkman I had was a minidisc recorder and that was fantastic until a pal purloined it a couple of years back. Oh also had a walkman CD player too, the one only marginally bigger than the disc, with a disc like top cover. In fact I used that cd player to transfer my music onto minidisc and with the Minidisc the sound was better than the CD, that indicated by there being more depth to the music.

Back