Someone must know!

I'm thinking my best bet it to get some syncro II's and a campy rear deralliur, but atm I can easily get the rear campy derailleur but the syncro II's are abit harder to get hold off, so if I run shimano friction shifters that I have now, can I get them to work with the campy rear untill I get the syncros, obviously I'm expecting to to some tweaking to get it to work if its possible. It's just Iv herd that fiction shifters are good for working with different branded components.
Chees for the help guys gona have a look at the link on my lunch brake

Not sure if this is any help, but I recently had to replace a friction shifted 5 speed with a Shimano 6 speed as it was the only decent quality block I could get. I was assured they were the same width. As it happened, i had to widen the OLN by 1mm to clear the frame with the 6th gear, but didn't even need to adjust the range of the derailleur. You should have no problems.

Note to self. Do not ride old bikes in floods. (Not when they come above the axles anyway.)

watchorn_luke":2h2ox8yr said:
I'm thinking my best bet it to get some syncro II's and a campy rear deralliur, but atm I can easily get the rear campy derailleur but the syncro II's are abit harder to get hold off, so if I run shimano friction shifters that I have now, can I get them to work with the campy rear untill I get the syncros, obviously I'm expecting to to some tweaking to get it to work if its possible. It's just Iv herd that fiction shifters are good for working with different branded components.
Chees for the help guys gona have a look at the link on my lunch brake

Friction shifters are not brand specific and as we're talking 6 speed the amount of cable pull required is not an issue. Your Shimano SIS shifters should have a friction setting on them so will work with your campy rear mech, once you get into Syncro shifters (or the later and slightly less innaccurate Syncro II) then you are in a whole new world of ensuring you use top quality cables (inners and outers), compatible freehweels, correct width chains, correct alignment of the freewheel reletive to the frame...when it works you will rejoice, or if it doesn't you'll what I did and sell the shifters on Ebay! :)

Thanks so much for the input guys :) I'm gonna buy a rear campy 7-8-9 speed and use it with my shimano sis shifters because they are friction and indexed. Hopefully it will all line up and il get myself familiar with doing that and they go for the campy shifters and try figure all that out. If all fails I will just sell the campy shifters and use shimano and try polish them up :) will post some pictures of how my build is going.
Oh will my cassette I'm running now run with the campy rear mech as long as they are the same speed?

Hi,

I do not know much about this stuff, but i did see articles on Sheldon Browns' website relating to this, i am sure some other RBers can provide the appropriate link - i think (not that sure) that there was info regarding mixing Campag and Shimano.

Cheers :) I have had a look on his site but I thought I'd try get some more feed back from other people :) I think iv got it all figured out now

Back