SOLD @ £1925 - Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahuna

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahu

Frame looks stunning I doubt will ever see you as nice come again for sale. And if it was just the frame then that would be a big ticket sale.

I am not so sure about the rest.

It is good for those "I must not...should not buy it :p " exercises... fortunately it is far from where I live and expensive enough to -barely- resist :)

Re:

Without hijacking this thread, does anyone know why Sannvik/Kona designed the seat-tube to be slightly shorter in length on these Ti models than the "usual" one?

Re: Re:

al-onestare":2yfz2pke said:
Without hijacking this thread, does anyone know why Sannvik/Kona designed the seat-tube to be slightly shorter in length on these Ti models than the "usual" one?
I don't have the details, and I trust someone else might be able to provide additional insights, but the shorter seat tube extension is not due to the fact that this Hei Hei includes the King Kahuna option...it's actually due to the vintage of the Hei Hei more generally...namely, some Hei Heis in the late 1994 to early 1996 range have the shorter seat tube extension.

I have a regular 1994 Hei Hei, and it also has the shorter extension. Do a search around the forums about Hei Heis in that era more generally, and you can find additional discussions.

Now, back to the topic of that King Kahuna for sale.... ;)

Re:

I know we have to be more polite in the members sale section :D

And I will try to be , I can understand why you have covered up the prices on the invoices as inevitably they will be lower than what your asking for it, if they were higher you would have shown them

So.. As often we use sales as valuations for future bike sales reference points, can I ask... How did you come to a selling price of £3,000/ $4,990 ?

Re: Re:

sylus":zbto8pta said:
I know we have to be more polite in the members sale section :D

And I will try to be , I can understand why you have covered up the prices on the invoices as inevitably they will be lower than what your asking for it, if they were higher you would have shown them

So.. As often we use sales as valuations for future bike sales reference points, can I ask... How did you come to a selling price of £3,000?

Fair question...so here are some data points...

- We did a lot of research here on Retrobike to see what prices looked like for King Kahuna frames in general.

- The general range for used frames alone was around £500 on the low end to £700 or so on the high end.

- It should be emphasized that those are prices for used frames.

- We added an upward valuation due the fact that this is an essentially new frame, never sold, and barely ridden.

- We added an upward valuation due to the fact that this was a new King Kahuna frame from a year that is relatively rare and hard to find, namely 1996...the first year the bike was available. I think you will agree, if you search around that finding 1996 King Kahunas at all, much less a new one, is not easy. There are not many around.

- We also considered that fact that the 1996 model year, apart from being rare in and of itself, is actually a very unique year, as it was the ONLY year that the KK option included full 6/4 seatstays, and the Hei Hei's original round tubes, without the typical KK gussets.

- So, at this point, we have a new frame, from a hard-to-find year, and that year is itself unlike any other year for the same model. So that's just the frame alone.

- Next, we considered the fact that the bike has an all OEM Kona Kit, from the manufacturer, which is quite difficult to find. Another upward valuation.

- Next, consider the fact that the complete bike, all OEM, has never been sold, and is essentially unused.

- And finally, the fact that we can document the bike with the original dealer paperwork, with serial numbers that match the bottom bracket and the kit you see, gives the buyer a high degree of confidence that the rather unique, essentially new, and hard-to-find bike he/she is looking at, is in fact what it appears to be.

As a final comparison point, you can search here on Retrobike and see at least one other very nice, complete Kona Ti bike (I believe it was), with a mishmash of quite nice parts that are not OEM, that is used, and that lacks this unique year vintage and documentation, and it was also priced at £3000 for the complete bike -- again, that was for a used bike.

I don't profess to think that valuing a bike is a science, and there is of course some subjectivity and art involved. As I hope I have demonstrated, we did try to take a methodical, fair, and rational approach to pricing this very unique bike, and thus far, much of the commentary seems to agree that the bike is quite unlike many others you will see, and that the price is not unreasonable.

Thanks for the question.

i agree stunning top end frame. i would agree that it commands a price above £700 frame only. I dont know what the record s/h price is I would imagine this may set it as a frame only.

The parts however are a tad low when you compare them to even the catalogues for 1995/6. The 96 lavadome has the same stem/curve brakes/seat post for example. I would suggest this is where most of the total price debate will be headed.

I do wish the shop all the best with what is a lovely looking frame.

Re:

Thank you for your speedy and informative reply

I think though we have established it is not new and has been ridden

It is a lovely bike no doubt and if your after one I have yet to see a better one.

That said, with the postage and insurance along with inevitable customs charges it will make this a hard U.K. sale I feel.

Perhaps to help the sale has anyone recently imported a bike around this value and if so could you advise of the charges?

It is a nice one so good luck with your sale

Back