SOLD @ £1925 - Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahuna

Re:

I've had a few 96 KK frames and they all had gussets both under the down tube, butted on to the head tube and on the top of the Top tube, this looks to be an earlier version and more like a "standard" all 3-25 Hei Hei or early KK 94 ish. Which makes it rarer still.
The rear triangle on KK's being 6-4 Ti, usually have thicker diameter stays too. Not saying it's not a KK :oops: just not like the 96 ones I've owned.
GLWS

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahu

It's tricky balance this one. Undoubtedly it's a rare example and in fantastic condition. That alone warrants some sort of premium. It's also it's downfall price wise because it's so unique and bespoke because as pointed out, the components don't quite match the calibre of the frame. But then add in that they are hardly used and in great condition and of course sitting on the frame...

...which if it were a 1996 model and factory spec would probably be half the price. But then, it wouldn't be as rare...

...you can see where this is going!!

It's only worth what someone has paid for it. I'm pretty sure if it was half the price it would have gone and many of us would be saying what a good deal. Instead it's probably just about right, maybe a little too much and we're all circling it, admiring it and I suspect, thinking of ways we can justify the outlay to our loved ones / bank managers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Personally I can't stop looking at it. Just lovely!

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahu

One of the prettiest stock bikes ever made. That and the Raleigh 853 DH that someone has found NOS in a shop in the Netherlands on the 1998+ page. I want them both!

Re:

howdy all, this is Michael, owner of the bike in question jumping in to answer a few questions. first off, I'd like to thank epptx for guiding me through this and introducing me to the Retrobike community, as well as the ace snaps and story behind the bike.

I've been in the business for nigh on 30 years now, and have owned Waterloo Cycles for close to 23 of those. in the original story he asked why I never rode the bike more than the first few times (hence the well justified "it's not NOS" comments from espresso and its_kirby.) the reason is that the frame was a bit too big for me, since I normally ride an 18" Kona.

robmac- I'm trying to get Francis Ford Coppola to get in *front* of the camera for the role. in a pinch I might see about his nephew Nicholas Cage ;}

tc- was your bike parked in London near Westminster about 5 years ago? I may have taken a snap of it when I was on holiday

makster- if you buy the bike I'll be happy to include the original paperwork from Kona with it, but due to dealer confidentiality they don't normally allow that info out

Anthony- if you check the invoice date you'll see that this was early on in the production run. since Kona was a fairly small company at the time they tended to be at the end of the queue as far as getting parts production orders filled by Shimano, RockShox etc.

Wold Ranger- again, check the invoice date, early on in the production run of the King Kahuna.

epptx recommended I put it up here first and exclusively for someone who could truly appreciate it , but I plan on offering it on eBay fairly soon.

for those holding off due to concerns about the costs of shipping/insurance/customs duties/VAT I'm planning on being on holiday in East Midlands (via a London flight) the end of July and we could possibly work out a deal for collection that would minimise those costs.

Back