SOLD @ £1925 - Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahuna

Re:

The bike is a bit of a strange mixture in some ways. I haven't seen one with 1995 decals before (other than the Hei Hei and King Kahuna, which are 96 in style but 95 in colour). The serial number is consistent with late 95 or early 96 build, and the -64 part clearly denotes the King Kahuna variant. The fork is from the 95 Hei Hei, and might have made the bike difficult to sell, as the Judy that was the spec fork for 96 had swept the board at that time. And the Curve brakes are just a down-grade compared to the Maguras on the 96 Hei Hei and the MachineTech cantis on the 95, but I suppose could have been a customer option if the Maguras didn't suit. [But that would imply that it was used?]

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - NOS 96 Kona King Ka

espresso":2tmnj37l said:
Beautiful bike! Nice story too! Although I don't want to spoil the party, but the Bike is not NOS (rim surface, cassette, chain rings ...)! Sorry.

You are not spoiling the party, and I appreciate the feedback. I have updated the post to remove all references to NOS, as the term has some subjectivity, and I want everyone to know what is, or is not, being represented about this lovely bike.

So that everyone understands, my original use of the phrase "new old stock" was done in good faith, but upon further research here on the forums, I think it's fair that the consensus seems to be a more strict use of the term that I was aware of. To me, I thought NOS meant, "new, unused by a customer, virtually pristine." When I worked in a bike shop, even new bikes would of course need to occasionally have test rides, and their chains and cassettes would not look clean and pristine, even for new bikes. I have also tried to be completely up-front about the bike, by noting that it is not flawless...but nearly so. It's never been sold and has barely ever been ridden, and only by the shop owner.

Still, the consensus seems to be that to people who care most about "NOS," they would expect out-of-the box, absolute flawless condition, with zero signs of use...as if shrink wrap on the entire bike had just been removed.

This bike is not quite that. So, in the interest of being clear with everyone, I have removed the terms "NOS" and "new old stock". Thank you for educating me about how strict the usage of the terms is to some folks. We don't want misunderstandings, and the most important thing is that we want any buyer to be happy with the bike.

My removal of these terms changes nothing else about the description of the bike, or its history...it remains virtually new and is barely ridden, it is a rare bike and a rare find, and it is lovely to look at.

Thanks again.

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - NOS 96 Kona King Ka

epptx":1jyyqw2k said:
espresso":1jyyqw2k said:
Beautiful bike! Nice story too! Although I don't want to spoil the party, but the Bike is not NOS (rim surface, cassette, chain rings ...)! Sorry.

You are not spoiling the party, and I appreciate the feedback. I have updated the post to remove all references to NOS, as the term has some subjectivity, and I want everyone to know what is, or is not, being represented about this lovely bike.

So that everyone understands, my original use of the phrase "new old stock" was done in good faith, but upon further research here on the forums, I think it's fair that the consensus seems to be a more strict use of the term that I was aware of. To me, I thought NOS meant, "new, unused by a customer, virtually pristine." When I worked in a bike shop, even new bikes would of course need to occasionally have test rides, and their chains and cassettes would not look clean and pristine, even for new bikes. I have also tried to be completely up-front about the bike, by noting that it is not flawless...but nearly so. It's never been sold and has barely ever been ridden, and only by the shop owner.

Still, the consensus seems to be that to people who care most about "NOS," they would expect out-of-the box, absolute flawless condition, with zero signs of use...as if shrink wrap on the entire bike had just been removed.

This bike is not quite that. So, in the interest of being clear with everyone, I have removed the terms "NOS" and "new old stock". Thank you for educating me about how strict the usage of the terms is to some folks (and that's fine -- we simply don't want misunderstandings, and the most important thing is that we want any buyer to be happy with the bike).

My removal of these terms changes nothing else about the description of the bike, or its history...it remains virtually new and is barely ridden, it is a rare bike and a rare find, and it is lovely to look at.

Thanks again.

No Problem. As you have described the bike and the condition quite well nobody assumed you want to cheat the buyer. Just wanted to mention the difference between NOS and MINT (I guess MINT would be the proper word for the condition of the bike) because from commercial (price) point of view NOS parts are usually MINT parts by two.

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahu

I'm hard.

No I really am.

What a bike, even with the strange little oddities. I want it. I really want it.

Is it worth cancelling the house purchase I'm half way through? Sadly not so someone is gonna have a lovely machine.

Re: Read This: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahu

NOS or not, this is an absolute thing of beauty. If I had the money I would already have pm'd the seller and done a deal as it's virtually a one off and something that should be tearing up the miles like it was designed to do.

Re: Re:

Anthony":522t0ff8 said:
The bike is a bit of a strange mixture in some ways. I haven't seen one with 1995 decals before (other than the Hei Hei and King Kahuna, which are 96 in style but 95 in colour). The serial number is consistent with late 95 or early 96 build, and the -64 part clearly denotes the King Kahuna variant. The fork is from the 95 Hei Hei, and might have made the bike difficult to sell, as the Judy that was the spec fork for 96 had swept the board at that time. And the Curve brakes are just a down-grade compared to the Maguras on the 96 Hei Hei and the MachineTech cantis on the 95, but I suppose could have been a customer option if the Maguras didn't suit. [But that would imply that it was used?]

Indeed, the decals are 96 in style and 95 in colour! 95 forks too. :shock:

Re: READ THIS: Of Old Barns & Unicorns - 1996 Kona King Kahu

Close to three years around here and this thread is well worth my first post! :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back