So what do Retro Bikers drive??

heres josephine...just had new sprockets,chain and brake pistons and pads overhauled..

Attachments

• 2011-02-25 14.36.12.jpg
    2011-02-25 14.36.12.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,196
Click on pics to open/enlarge

neilll":12igskum said:
Had Land Rovers for years....went looking for a 101 Forward Control and came back from an Army auction with an Series III Air Portable/Lightweight :roll: Kept this as a daily driver for years - 16mpg, on 750 Mud Terrains and a roll cage :)
Then a Series III 88 petrol, 110 Turbo Diesel, 200 TDi 90 (stolen) and finally a 300TDi 90 CSW.

Me too :D :D

1st; 1969 2A Light-Weight (complete shed!!)

2nd; 1994 Defender 110Tdi ('300' Hard-Top)

3rd; 1989 90CSW-V8 (genuine factory build!, not a 'bitsa')

4th; 1998 Discovery 50th Anniversary

5th; 1999 Defender 110td5 'Heritage'

Sadly the 110 was sold last February :( , & we've had a really obnoxious 'blue-van' (C-Max) since then :evil:
I'm hoping it's departing soon, & being replaced with a V50, V70, or an Octavia estate
Oh, & we've got the XKR too :D

That said, I'm desperate for another Landie, but can't decide whether to go for a 101FC, a 86" Series 1, or (if I can find a good one) a Range Rover 'Classic' 300Tdi/manual

And...........

For those of you who are wondering what the '101FC' that 'neilll' & myself both mention, this is one;

It's an ex-military gun-tractor (main design role)
- They look huge, but, they're shorter/narrower than the (original - & best! - shape) Range Rover
- Powered by a detuned 3.5 litre petrol V8 (as per the Range Rover of the day)
- They can be 'stripped to the waist', & carried under a Helicopter, or parachuted from a Hercules.

Driving them is a knack...
- the gear-lever is by your elbow
- there's no power-steering (9.00 x 16 tyres take some turning!!)
- forward visibility is magnificent (especially off-road & downhill!!)
- brakes are dire, if you're wanting to hold it on a hill, reverse down under control)

On the flip side, they even intimidate taxi & coach drivers :LOL: :LOL:
I've been a passenger in one at an (indicated) 80MPH!!! - niosy is an understatement!

To sum up, they're just brilliant fun (& somewhat unusual - less than 2000 were built) :D

Stick Legs":325tknjk said:
I currently want one of these, 4.4 Supercharged Range Rover Sport, not a chav tastic white or black one, I'm hoping for a nice dark green.

Does this make me a bad person. :oops:

Agree with the colour, but a 'Sport'????

Why not a proper Range Rover?? (& the TDV8?)

RichT":1lkgscg6 said:
Stick Legs":1lkgscg6 said:
I currently want one of these, 4.4 Supercharged Range Rover Sport, not a chav tastic white or black one, I'm hoping for a nice dark green.

I just like the Sport. Dunno why, just something about 'em.

They are just lowered really, not much else different. My cous has one, and even though it is lower than normal it still has that kneel option to make climbing in and out easier.

Until I have got the G Wagen on the road, if it ever gets there, I am sticking with my Pajero, it has got under my skin the last few months, and I don't just mean the perma-oil in my skin from all the work I have done on it. Not nearly as off road capable as the Land Rovers I have had nor the G, but very comfy and spacious like a G and cheap, cheap, cheap.

Did I mention it was cheap?

When I was a kid my folks had a Pinzgauer, now that was one hell of a machine but I am scared to even look how much they cost.

:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11174140@N00/202572155/#/photos/mr38/202572155/

T reg Mitsubishi L200 2.5td single cab pickup truck! :D

She may be old but she's reliable and if I take all my work tools out of the back then she's fab for camping ... an inflatable mattress fits perfectly in the back, and that's even with my bike in there too! :LOL:

L x

Stick Legs":1mmrdphy said:
RichT":1mmrdphy said:
Stick Legs":1mmrdphy said:
I just like the Sport. Dunno why, just something about 'em.

Fair enough, but at least Clarksons phrase is close to the truth

(roughly quoted)
"A Range Rover makes you look like your shooting preferences are Grouse, rather than 'Drive-Bys' (as opposed to if you own a X5/Porch/etc...)"

highlandsflyer":1mmrdphy said:
They are just lowered really, not much else different. My cous has one, and even though it is lower than normal it still has that kneel option to make climbing in and out easier

It was basically a reclothed Discovery 3, with enough internal trinketry to justify its price & 'market-sector'

highlandsflyer":1mmrdphy said:
When I was a kid my folks had a Pinzgauer, now that was one hell of a machine but I am scared to even look how much they cost.
Ahh, terrific machines!!
I love them, especially the 6x6 versions (almost as much fun as a Stalwart)
I've not driven one, but have been a passenger a couple of times

Back