So its really muddy, what do you ride?

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Other than a Cleland or a Highpath that is, what the heck is good for sticky claggy mud alternating to sloppy filth? Almost killed my Raleigh RSP at the weekend and am just wondering what you lot use, if you do actually go out in mud.

Re:

An ebay built charge duster.......or something old that really shouldn't be allowed out in the wet haha. Tbh I can't be arsed to ride the lapierre as it takes ages to clean it

This

DSCF3110_zps0034b667.jpg

But what though? Clay sticks to all sorts. I was using some new Continental Mountain Kings but its the mud and chain interaction...

sdc11212_w1024_h768_881.jpg

Re:

A...... Fatbike?? :shock:

I just ride whatever, some mud (clay, or mud with grass mixed in) will clag up just about any bike, its all part of the fun :D

(Although it doesn't seem so "fun" at the time as you're pushing your now 50lb mud clagged bike along and the wheels won't even turn, or trying to scrape out the mud with locally sourced sticks just to allow the wheels to move :LOL: ).

Re:

When it's really wet and muddy I'll ride my modern winter hardtail.
I don't see the fun in destroying nice old, or expensive new, bikes.

Disc brakes excel in mud. Canti's and V-brakes just clog too much.
I'm also not too keen on wearing out nice Mavic M231 rims and NOS original brake blocks etc.

I do however find six and seven speed cassettes and chains much more durable and reliable than some modern equivalents.

I have a disc only frame and some disc wheels all courtesy of the carboot/ tip so may build a winter single speed mud thing

Re:

I ride the same bike muddy or dry.....the Pace.

they were built for Yorkshire mud, they can take any mud this world has to throw at them....shame about my legs though.

Back