So, 26", 27.5" and 29".

Re: Re:

JamesM":1mey1lvt said:
40:11 with 26" wheels on the road is a bit low.

Do you reckon? I went from triples to double and bash ('cos I rarely used the big ring) and now to 1x10 (30T chainring, 11/40 cassette).
I never miss any higher gearing and I'm not bothered about an extra 1 or 2mph on the road anyway.
Mostly I ride singlespeeds, mind you, so I don't have to bother my poor old brain with all this stuff.......

Re:

Apparently, Giant are plaining to phase out the 29er also.
Because they want to go back to having one size standard MTB size again - so soon all their mountain bikes will be 27.5".

There's a video on Youtube were a top Giant representative basically admits this.
As well as several articles on the web.

Giant are the world's largest bicycle manufacturer - so many believe that other manufacturers will follow suit, because the confusion over wheel size is too complicated for customers - and it will be cheaper and more efficient to produce for one size again.

Also, many experts genuinely believe that 27.5/650b is the ideal size for mountain bikes. Because it offers the best of both 26" and 29", without the disadvantages of either.
There's a good description of this, from Giant, at the end of the pinkbike article below.

So in the years to come, we could be on here debating, not about the 26" wheel, but whether the 29er is also dead.

https://youtu.be/pHDEzZ6u2ps
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/650B-For-A ... Bikes.html
http://www.spoke.ie/2013/07/giant-goes- ... eel-sizes/

Re:

Werent 29ers with straight bars called "hybrids" and laughed at BITD.

The width of the tyre may have increased by a margin, but as good as they can be, they do still look a bit GAY when you ride them.

Sad but true.

blackadder_darling.jpg

sinnerman":39663lay said:

The width of the tyre may have increased by a margin, but as good as they can be, they do still look a bit GAY when you ride them.

Sad but true.

Comparing the low end hybrids of the big manufacturers to the 29ers of today? Thats ridiculous. Tyres a margin bigger? The saracen eiger (?) 700c wouldnt have a tyre wider than an inch, even the most race snake cubes etc have foom for a 2.3" tyre and mud.

From the roots of mountain biking dont see what there isnt to like on a wagon wheeler, unless in a small frame size. They look like classic retro xc bikes.

I couldnt care less about wheel sizes per se but people should base their views on long term rides. Try a 650b for a weekend of long riding see what you think. Try a 29er for a 40 mile ride one sunny day.

And even then, there are good and bad variants of all wheel sizes mainly on what suits your riding

How many have you tried sinnerman out of interest? Or are you stuck on their aesthetics?

coomber":n7xjsndr said:
sinnerman":n7xjsndr said:

Sad but true.

Comparing the low end hybrids of the big manufacturers to the 29ers of today? Thats ridiculous. Tyres a margin bigger? The saracen eiger (?) 700c wouldnt have a tyre wider than an inch, even the most race snake cubes etc have foom for a 2.3" tyre and mud.

From the roots of mountain biking dont see what there isnt to like on a wagon wheeler, unless in a small frame size. They look like classic retro xc bikes.

I couldnt care less about wheel sizes per se but people should base their views on long term rides. Try a 650b for a weekend of long riding see what you think. Try a 29er for a 40 mile ride one sunny day.

And even then, there are good and bad variants of all wheel sizes mainly on what suits your riding

How many have you tried sinnerman out of interest? Or are you stuck on their aesthetics?

I don't think I had low end in mind when thinking BITD, granted the tyre width was narrower then than now, but even in my frame size it looks awkward.

your welcome to buy my ACR in 29, its a bit gay to look at but rides really well..., especially on a long XC day ride.

But the High ball is a little better, (from my demo anyway)(and far cheaper) thought I might give that long term try if the fat thing don't work out.

Granted they roll well, but not always ideal in tricky spots, but then nor is CC and I learned with that, but you have got to like the aesthetics to love it too imho.

You wouldnt paint a bike a colour you didn't like...?

Putting it another way, for a fairer comparison, I wouldn't swop my sb66 for and sb95, and the 95 is the least gay looking wagon wheel I can think of.

But as you asked what have I tried/or not.

What I would dearly love to try is the M-Link Repack in 27.5., both for the suspension platform and the wheelsize in "full suspension". Neither have I had the pleasure off. And I keep hearing Great things.

Attachments

• bikes-repack-team-back.jpg
    bikes-repack-team-back.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 289
I don't get the 29 look ridiculous argument. Far more ridiculous having a gate of a 26 wheeler or two foot of seatpost sticking out IMHO. Some bikes looks good some look awful, again nothing to do with wheel size.

Stanton for example make gorgeous bikes in all three wheels sizes.

Back