snowflake wheels

Snowflake is a bit marmite. I certainly won't build them that way. I am not a big of fancy lacing pattern's.

...plus (con).....theoretically it makes your wheel heavier as you need to use longer spokes than you would normally use.

From a technical standpoint it's a very silly thing to do. However, I built one for the front of my fixie and it looks cool. I wouldn't use one on the back and I wouldn't put one on the front of a serious bike :LOL:

jimo746":2bsvbmvh said:
suburbanreuben":2bsvbmvh said:
a beautiful thing to do to wheels.

Fixed that for you ;)

They can be a little trickier to true, but have been hit by the fecking ugly stick all the way down the tree.
And I've fixed that for you...

Forget Snow flake, try another lacing method.

I used to build light weight XC wheels on road hubs and butted spokes. Best set I ever build were for a friend who wanted Ultegra or 105 hubs for his Zaskar.

The lacing I used was radial front wheel and for the rear I used two cross on the drive side and radial on the non drive side. These were for racing only, but he took them down the BMX track and jumped them fine with little damage. However, they were no where near as strong as a good three cross wheel.

Snowflake was a fad as far as I could see, it stressed the spokes by twisting them around each other and added flex. Flex can be good because it allows your wheel to deflect more under heavy impact, but it makes the wheel feel strange, as if the spokes are loose and is harder to true if the rim is buckled.

Only my view, I ride standard three cross these on the push bike and cast three spokes on the Streetfighter! :twisted:

Back