Snapped Chain

tony edwards

Old School Hero
Just a quick question I was out riding this morning and snapped a chain. (first time ever for me) whets the consensus is it best to completely replace the chain or should it be ok to carry on using the repaired chain its a Shimano 2008 XT with about 400 miles on it. And any ideas what could have caused it on what it think is a fairly new chain?

Cheers Tony

Never had a chain snap on me yet, especially a shimano one, however , you should be able to rejoin and carry on using the said chain, but I would recommend that you use one of the shimano joining pins to reconnect :)

You're fine to just replace the broken link.

Couldn't say what caused it, don't think I've ever had a chain snap on a geared bike either. I break BMX chains pretty regularly, that's usually down to impact or way its been fitted/repaired; plates bending and things like that.

Cheers guys
I have repaired it with a shimano pin so hopefully it will be ok.
any ideas as to what caused it ?
I was on the power at the time and i am a little heavy on the gear change anything else i should look for?

strange one, could possibly be due to a fault in the link that was made worse by freezing temperatures, ie, steel becomes more brittle at freezing temperatures, so the link just let go :?

damaged tooth on cassette or chainring, manufacturing weakness in a link, bad gear changes... could be any/all of the above.

I just bang a powerlink in instead of a Shimano pin, makes for easy chain removal. Any powerlink (Sram, KMC, Wipperman) will do so long as it's the same spd as the chain.

KMC are now my preferred chain, basically cos they're bloody good & cheaper than Sram or Shimano.

I used a missing link on my HG-90 chain, far better than the shimano snap off pins IMO. I would rejoin yours with one of these and give it a go. I think in cost me 99p from my LBS.

Carl.

Im a KMC convert also,

had a few shimano chains snap on me, bloke in my LBS Says Shimano chains are shit too and he should know,lol dont know about sram though.

charlieboy

Back