Sizing front mechs for Kona Cindercone

Daipink

Old School Hero
I recently bought some modern nearly new XT kit to upgrade my old Kona AA and hoped to transfer old kit to an early 90s Cindercone I've built up as a commuter bike. Unfortunately new XT front mech is too big for the AA and old Deore mech is too big for the price Cindercone.

Is it possible to shim out clamps to fit oversize mech clamp on a frame?
What size clamp would I need for an old Cindercone that takes a 27.0mm seatpost?

All advice greatly appreciated!

Photo here https://www.flickr.com/gp/66032398@N00/RS3R9R

28.6mm clamp is what you need. Alternatively make a shim by cutting strips off an old plastic milk bottle and wrapping it round. All Shimano mechs nowadays seem to use shims for smaller seatpost sizes.

Re:

Mate who used to work in one of my LBS's several years ago have me a shimano shim from a box that he had out the back. Was moulded to the shape of the XT clamp, had a plastic cage and aluminium inserts

28.6 mech clamp. My local bike shop dug some shims out for me recently, free of charge. I've also made shims from grey pvc waste pipe - seems to be just the right thickness and it doesn't flex so your mech won't creep due cable tension (don't use tape or soft plastic - your mech will move).

Seat clamp on my '92 Explosif is 30.0 mm (27.0 seat post). Some clamps are sold as 29.8mm and they ought to work too.

Back